What Amsoil ratios to use for blowers & trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Oct 5, 2012.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad get's dealer price for Amsoil and just gave me a quart of Amsoil Sabre. I just ordered a Kawasaki backpack blower and also use Husqvarna 223L trimmer, and an echo handheld pb250. Should I use the same ratios for all 3 of these? If so what would be the ounces for an 80:1 mix for one gallon if that's what you'd suggest? The label only gives ounces for 5 gallon mix for 80:1.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I mix mine at 80:1. I use 4 oz of Saber per 2.5 gal gas. I use the same mix in my blowers (all of them, and I have several), trimmers (one of which is the 223L) and edgers.

For one gallon of mix, just devide the oz of oil that you have listed on the bottle for 5 gallons (8 for 80:1 mix), by 5 to get the correct amount of oil for one gallon= 1.6 oz.

3. lawnsaspire

Thanks. I mix all my 2 cycle gas in a gallon container. So I guess 80:1 per gallon would be about less than an ounce?

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

No. Take a look at the last part of my last line above.

5. lawnsaspire

Sorry I didn't see that. I guess if my whole purpose on lawnsite is to look foolish, I've accomplished it.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Too funny! Don't sweat it bro.

7. I used to run Amsoil Saber at 80:1 in my trimmers and blowers but, I have gone strictly to 100:1 all this summer. This winter I probably will run 80:1 in my chainsaws though. Chainsaw engines are under more load than trimmers.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Agreed, and if you go to the professional tree care/logging forums, both here and elsewhere, you'll see that the day in, day out pros recommend using it at 50:1 in a chainsaw. Many have posted about having their saws upper ends ruined even at 80:1, but I guess that depends on how much you run them to some degree. I have used 80:1 in mine, but not for any long and/or heavy cutting sessions.

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You need to use a small bottle or a pump that already measures it out for you, otherwise you're going to run into problems, we run 80:1

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I measure mine out in this. It holds 2 quarts.

DSC01325.jpg