what an idiot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Jul 5, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

so today i am blowing the curb off after being edged at a commercial account of mine. i should mention that it is on a busy thoroughfare . so anyway i can see cars coming toward me but not from behind obviously . so this idiot behind me begins honking and yelling to put that thing (blower) down . i yelled back " go to the next drive " .he whips in , jumps out , and comes over to me all bowed up like billy bad @zz and says i have a right to use this street and you need to stop .i am like dude do you make a guy mowing his lawn stop before driving your precious cadillac by ? or do you get out and raise cane at the state guys while the're working on the road you travel or just drive by . i said i didnt even see you because you were behind me and even on the opposite side of the road .he got back in his overpriced tin can and sped off. what a jerk . oh well i guess that is what i get for dealing with the public on a daily basis .
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL I had some dude a few weeks ago got out and like your dude, all puffed up and he actually looked like he might do something ...

So I'm standing there and the guy comes up and first pushes me but since that didn't budge me he then punched me twice and I'm just standing there thinking 'is that all you got?' ... But by now my bp was rising some and I'm thinking, yeah, you know, I can show this dude what I can do with a 300-pound lawnmower, on his azz...

So as my eyes are getting smaller his eyes got real big and he got back in his van and ran the red light to get out of there.
    funny ppl, good thing he didn't have a gun thou
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yeh , no doubt . you musta scared the **** outta him .:laugh:
  4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I had a friend that was mowing sunday morning, i guy came up with a axe and decided to modifiy my friends van with it,seems like he didnt like being disturbed on a sunday morning (noise).:angry: :angry: :angry:

My friend no longer works sunday :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It cost $$$$ to fix and is still before the courts as we speak.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hope so LOL...

We're not the absolute biggest dudes around by a mile, but anyone who does what we do for a living, we get a daily workout...

I'm nowhere in shape like some of the dudes I know, man anytime I feel so bad all I gotta do is watch them work and it makes me feel so small again. But regardless of that, most of us are stronger than average and by a fair margin. On top of that, once you've been doing this for 2-3 years, you should be to where you can also tolerate some pretty serious pain.

Last but not least, most everybody who does this for some time (again 2-3 years) develops considerable stamina, meaning we can last a LONG time (translation: hours) dealing out some pretty powerful stuff.

Stamina + strength + pain tolerance = You better pack a lunch lol
    I just found out the other day I can hedge-trim one handed, but it is difficult, still...

So in a fight, I myself would hate to get into it with another landscaper, it's just a bad formula if you were looking for an easy battle.
    You would figure most people would think twice before fooling with a landscaper / lawn guy.

But I suspect with these idiots, they got an inferiority complex so by putting us down it makes them feel all good inside...
    The only problem I have with it is they do this at our expense.
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We were out spraying a lawn once, dead calm day and it is a big front lawn, we are maybe 60+ ft from the road when a guy on a bicycle yells, "Hey stop that!" He was all upset, wanted us to stop spraying till he had gone by. As he road off he yells, "Have fun in the cancer ward!"
    I was half tempted to run after him and yell, "Have fun in the 'Just had a bike removed from my back-side' ward!"
    Oh well.
  7. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

we need to see a pic of ya man...then we can decide....lol....i wouldnt have taken the shove 1, and 2 after he got two in, i would have went across his face....then prolly crapped on him...then sped off....idk...but that would piss me off so bad...
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I would have turned around and look at him with my blower at full throttle and said "WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, SORRY. CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE THAT POS CAR OF YOURS SO I CAN FINISH? HAVE A GREAT DAY!"

I had an old guy storm across his lot towards me last Friday and start yelling at me for not cutting & trimming some long grass on a steep slope between my client and his dealership. He owns the Chevy dealership in town and is one of those guys that tries to rule over anyone and everyone, he did the same thing to me two years ago. As I reminded him about our previous conversation, I took him over and showed him AGAIN that the uncut grass is on HIS property...not my clients. And then he got even madder because he's the type of guy that's never wrong and the property markers are in clear view. Then as he started walking away, I asked him if he could tell his LCO to NOT mow the west side of my clients property because it always looks like crap when they are done and I don't want anyone thinking that I do shoddy work. Have a great day Wayne!:waving: Everyone in town dislikes the guy, it's amazing he's still in business but I suppose being the only Chev dealer within 50 miles helps him tremendously.

9. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

you are right about dealing with the public.so just ride that out.i usually get abused when i use the blower.it seems to drive people nuts,especially the oldies.

when somebody approches me with that kind of crap i usually say "sorry sir i have a better machine in the car that might suit you better.then i return with chainsaw and say "are you feeling luckylucky ........punk
  10. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Expect the worst from the general public. Working on corporate properties is always fun what with the uppity suits that think they own the place, park thier little convertables right in the way of blowing off, oop's didn't mean to dust the WHOLE car, guess it would have been allitle wiser to park elswhere.
    Or working the roadways, I can't tell you how many times I've invited some sorry driving, horn blowing PITA back to talk about how to do my job.