What an idiot!!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JohnnyRoyale, May 3, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We have all had our share of funny things hapenning to us. Here's one of my favourites. Post yours.

One of my clients just bought a cottage on the lake and had just moved his stuff into it on a Friday. He met all the neighbours, he's very personable guy and loves to talk. He took a particular liking to this one old guy a few houses down who came from his home town, and they knew the same people, and had moved there when his wife passed on.

Realizing the weeds at his new cottage were out of control, he sprayed them on the following Saturday afternoon, and figured he would help the old guy out and sprayed his weeds too as they had pretty much taken over his lawn also. The old guy wasnt home at the time, but he went ahead and did it anyways. Good neighbourly gesture.

I get a call at 5AM (which wasn't untypical of him as we plow a number of lots for him, and he always calls first thing after a storm to see how we made out overnight, except now its May) and I'm thinking WTF does he want this early?

He goes on to tell me he woke up in cold sweat at 3 AM realizing what he had sprayed all over his lawn and his neighbours lawn was Roundup, and he had just go in from watering it down, hoping to dilute it. He screwed up royally and now we have to head up there and replace two lawns.

2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

ha, there is a little golf course where I live, and the last superintendent put round up in the tanks instead of fert for all the greens. Needles to say he is no longer employed.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, atleast you have a clean slate to work with. get the label of the stuff this guy used, and make sure it doesn't have the salts in it (some "season long" stuff) before you plant.

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

There was a post in the Pesticide section about a company that killed, I forget, maybe a hundred lawns. They had pics of these white lawns and the only green you could see was where they missed spraying. I think it happened because the spray went bad while sitting in the tanks.

5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe 3or 4 years ago i was on a crew. My buddy's little one crew opp. First cut i was the trimmer boy. I told him the Turf tiger wasnt cutting right he goes your nuts i just sharpend the blades lastnight. I can normaly see any flaw in any cut. I have been doing this since i was little. But he dosent listen and just goes about mowing 17 or 18 places in about 9 hrs. By the end of the day i had just kept telling him it wasnt cutting right. So we cut his house and he pull the tiger in the garage. I am like whats up? Hes like it dosent look right. no ****. Hes got the spacers wrong on one blade. So all of the yards have a cut like this __- so the next day we had to go back over all of them. I was like i told you so.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Home Depot tells everyone around here if they come in in December-Feb that if they have weeds in dormant bermuda its ok to spray Round Up. One of our employees at my full time job calls me from Home Depot and says the clerk told him to use RU on his weeds, I told my friend to go home and pull back the bermuda and look close to the ground, sure enough...still green.

My neighbor 2 houses down trusted Home Depot and his lawn is now dead from the same thing.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully its still cool enough that along with watering it wont hurt it too much.

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

He did water for a few hours, and its been raining for a few days now...he may have a bit of luck on his side, but i think the damage has been done. We'll have to wait and see.

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

What Home Depot said was correct, you can spray round up, at a certain concentration, on dormant bermuda. Your friends, and probrably your neighbor's bermuda were not dormant.

10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

round up will kill trees if enough is sprayed on it. Killed plenty of mulberry's with it.