What are all the tips for super fast quality cutting???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. Now I want to improve my time by as much as possible while still doing a great job so. What are the tips and secrets and all that you have learned to improve your time besides better equipment, leave leave equipment out of this one. I'm talking about the other stuff...

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sharp bledes, good maintenance, work at a pace
    that allows you to do a good clean job the
    first time.It seems to me that most accidents
    happen when you are rushing also kinda kills
    the ability to enjoy the day.just mine
    T M

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Very sharp double blades will do it. I keep an extra set of blades for each Chopper with me at all times in case they get dull and don't cut like I want them too. Find the right combination of blades that work best on your mower.

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sharp blades. When my 14 year old son is using the mower he will tell me when the blades have dulled just on how productive the mower becomes. Once you get used to good sharp blades the difference will be obvious.

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sharp blades of course.
    If you have help explain to them how to work smart ie. make every step count - no back tracking
    If you are working alone sometimes it quicker to trim first so you can blow off large areas with the mower.
    For large apartments I carry a trimmer with me on the ZTR so I can trim areas that are out of the way without having to take a hike.

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Not to sound redundant, but sharp blades!

Last week, I got so busy I let this slide a couple days and paid for it with double cuts that still didn't look right. I made a vow to myself not to let that slide again, and ordered four sets of new blades this weekend to help in that effort. New blades everyday, a spare set with me at all times & sharpen every one of them every weekend.

It's just smart mowing. ;)

-TGC

7. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Efficent pattern???

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

My Dixie cuts so so much better if i keep the deck clean,sharp blades are very important,but if my deck is plugged it wont cut for sqaut,even if its only partially loaded up in the corners,cleaning it wil allow me to go faster,and cut cleaner.

9. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

so cleaning the deck can help alot

10. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Only bag clippings when absolutely necessary. Even then it's often faster to discharge and then rake the clippings onto a tarp, rather than use a bagger. A secondary benefit is you'll have fewer clippings collected this way. With the right equipment you can make a discharged lawn look as good as a bagged lawn 95% of the time.

Use your WB or rider to get as close as possible to fences and obstacles in the middle of the lawn. Then use your string trimmer, thus eliminating a "trim mower" in most cases. Take your time when cutting and do it right, then go like a bat out of hell with the trimmer and blower. This time of season, and in the dry season of july/august (of a normal summer) cut back on edge trimming and only do "obstacle trimming". The edges have been trimmed every single week and are the first areas to dry out.

Use the biggest piece of equipment you can get on the property. We've got a number of 5000 sq.ft. houses we are able to cut with a 54" WB.

Take your time to train your employees (if you have any) the right way. If you're looking to expand in maintenance you'll need well trained employees. If I can tell the difference between a lawn cut by one of our employees compared to one cut by me, then I haven't properly trained them.

Eat well, drink lots of fluids, get plenty of sleep, go like hell!