What are friends for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

What are friends for?

Last week I loaned my 21" Honda HRC216 to my best friend (I have known him since 3rd grade)
    he returned the mower on Sunday morning since I needed to mow my lawn. After he left I went out to help my kids mow my daughter started it up and went to mowing all the while I thinking that does not sound right and the lawn looks like crap! when she got done mowing I said stand on the handle so I can look under the mower, well the blade looked like -~- this bent in the middle of one side. At this point I'm pissed and call him up and tell him you bent my blade and my crank shaft what are you going to do about it are you going to fix it?

His response
    I didn't do it my son mowed the lawn not me. Then his women friend said I heard Bruce hit something when he was mowing but I'm not sure what (Turned out to be an 8" rock) he also stated that he had no money to repair it for me because he is on welfare.

BOTTOM LINE DO NOT LOAN EQUIPMENT OUT TO ANYONE!!

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

ADD this one on to the fire........

Its said all the time, but I think it takes a big personal screw to realize that its a good idea!

Sorry, but as long as you learned your lesson, it was a good day, right? :)

3. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Bummer.... My 216 Weeps for you:cry:

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Friends are for enjoying a beer with, going fishing, helping with a job around the house, you know, same ol, same ol, BUT NEVER TO LET THEM USE YOUR EQUIPTMENT THAT YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: This is a good way to find out that they didn`t give a *&^%#@#* about you, or your equiptment.
    I have a neighbor that wants real bad to use my echo pole pruner for limbs in his yard. I don`t think there would be a problem with him fixing it if he messed it up, but my concern is that the pole pruner will injure him, then where am I. Up that certain creek without a paddle!!!! No I told him the pruner wasn`t working right and he should go rent one at the rental store. I made a rule years ago, BOTTOM LINE DO NOT LOAN EQUIPMENT OUT TO ANYONE!! This guy is bothering me so much that I had to say it is not working, also we help each other when we need some help with things and I would like to stay on friendly terms with him.
    Sorry that you had to learn the lesson the hard way

5. if your buddy is on welfare, then he should have plenty of time to work it off, right? just a thought

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

if your buddy is on welfare, then he should have plenty of time to work it off, right? just a thought

Somebody's been reading my mind :eek: That's kinda scary!

I have 2 suggestions:

1. Don't mow for family, friends, or neighbors.

2. Don't lend equipment to anybody.

... and I have PO'd all 3 over both things

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

it seems to me a friendship since grade school would be more important than a mower blade. still the standard rules about loaning to friends apply. dont do it unless you decide ahead of time that if this happens it wont hurt your friendship.
    these are my thoughts on the matter. later TM

8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Excellent rules. But it's too bad that there is no good way to say no when asked if you will loan them something. I generally just say that the equipment is part of our business and we just cna't take any chances with it.
    I do mow for family, friends, and neighbors but only as a favor. I never charge any of them. Family is a regular thing as my wife's and my parnets are elderly. Friends and neighbors are done as thanks for something they might do special for us.
    Cleve.

9. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Just had one of my best friend move back into town. Instead of letting him borrow a mower, I gave him an old Crapsman that I had never used. He was greatful and I got it out of my storage space. Plus, I will never have to mow his lawn or let him borrow my mowers because I gave him one. I know he would take care of my equip. but I'd rather give him a cheap mower than to let him borrow a real mower.

I will mow as a favor but only if I'm running my equip. so I can make sure it's used properly.

10. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Two other thoughts.

1. Get a depost for replacement.

or

2. Don't plan on getting any thing back you loan in working condition, so consider it a donation.