What are "gator" blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Budman, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

I apologize for displaying my ignorance, but can someone explain to me exactly what gator blades are and where I can get them? Is "gator" a particular brand of blade, or is it some type of mulching or offset blade.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I accept your apology for your ignorance, but not for your laziness. Do a search for "gator" as this topic has been rehashed in over 100 threads.

3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Budman ( Great name by the way)
    "Gatorblade" is a brand name. And they are mulching blades. Where you would have the lift it is basically cut in 3 sections, so they will chop up clippings before discharging them. I personally do not care for them at all. I have used Gators and Toro "Atomics" and won't use them any more. If used when side discharging I think they leave clumps. I love the factory blades that come on my Exmark Lazers. If you want them anyway, you should be able to get them at most dealers. Sig

4. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

SIG,

Thanks for the info! It sounds like the gator is not what I need - I am having a clumping problem. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. BTW - "Budman" is actually the nickname that we use for our yellow labrador, Buddy. It has kind of stuck over the years, although I must confess to consuming the occasional "Bud" myself!

Scraper - I wasn't trying to be lazy. I tried performing a search using the word "gator" before posting this message. It returned over 600 threads! :eek: I read through a couple pages worth of them, and they all assumed that the reader already knew what a gator blade was. I don't have that much time to go poking around through all of those threads for an answer that someone (like SIG) could provide to me with one short reply! :rolleyes:

Peace! :cool:

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense, but you need to hone your searching skills. A search in the Commercial Forum only of titles for "Gator" only resulted in 68 threads http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?...d=119412&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending of which most any could have answered your question. The best most recent being responded to with a pictorial by TLS. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=29592&highlight=gator

Just trying to help so as you aren't overwhelmed by the vastness of this resource.

As for the gators...many of the members here use them in the fall with a double blade set-up to aid in mulching up leaves as the late great EricELM taught us. As for clumping...the gators will cause no more clumping than regular blades under dry conditions. Clumping is usually due to wet or overgrown grass.