What are notched airfoil blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 30, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just reading some post that recommend the notched airfoil blades. What are they and where do you buy them? How do they differ from regular high lifts?

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

They have half-moon notch/chunk missing out of the back edge of the blade where the lifting part of the blade begins. Look around, they are easy to spot.
    Look through the pdf's on the lower right.
    http://www.oregonchain.com/OEP/oep_blades.htm

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Junk!! Thats what they are...

I never had a problem with notched blades on my 52" mowers, never ever... but once I got my 60" Lazer i've went through at least 2 full sets of blades that were bent right at the cutout notch, and didn't even have a nick missing on the cutting edge so you know they didn't hit anything hard. Each one bent downward right where they punch out the notch. They are a weak design. The reason they notch the blades, is so they can put a high lift foil on the blade without stretching and bending the blade on the cutting edge. If you look at a solid foil blade, the cutting edge is curved just a little bit because they bend the lift into it and it stretches the blade a little. But the solid foil blades will last forever without bending. The notched ones are junk on a 60" machine. I'll never use them again except for backup or to cut a hayfield... cuz if one bends, it will gouge and scalp the lawn you are mowing and it looks really bad.

Unless you're running a 52" or small mower don't use notched foil blades. At those sizes the blade is short enough theres not enough leverage against it to damage it I guess but on the 60's and larger they don't last at all... I've put some on and within 2 hrs one was bent and didn't hit a thing... thats just ridiculous. they weren't all that way some went weeks but just junk avoid them like the plague. They don't cut any better or worse, and they aren't harder or easier to sharpen. The price is about the same, they just think its better as they can put a sharper lift on the blade without warping it but I don't think its any advantage especially when you go through them like gasoline..... :dizzy: :cry: :hammerhead:

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I have a 60" ultra cut so thats very interesting.