What are pros/cons of Netafim?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Stuttering Stan, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Please don't throw knives at me for asking this. I am trying to learn the biz and reading all I can. Several people like Netafim, but I just can't see why?

2. Why don't you tell us your experience with it and why you don't like it. I have pros and cons on netafim.

We don't throw knives just glue daubers.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

...glue daubers sharpened to a point... without the actual dauber:-D

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Can't wait for Kiril to see this thread...

5. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a garden on Netafim that waters 35 to 40 minutes every 3 days

DSC04105.JPG

DSC04106.JPG

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

lol, why is that?

The reason for using netafim or similar is simple .... water conservation.

7. rockee

rockee LawnSite Member

Are you asking how Netafim compares to other drip line (manufacturers) or are you using the name Netafim generically to ask why drip line should be used compared to mist heads or rotors?

8. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

TomTom,

That's what I am going to do to my raised beds before next Spring. I used micro-sprays this year, and regret it. It looks like you have your lines spaced about 18 inches apart -- is that right? Why on the surface instead of buried? Emitters facing up or down? Are your headers made with solid Netafim, or do they have emitters, too?

9. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

one negative thing I've found about using drip in general is that it difficult to tell if a line is clogged if it is hidden underneath mulch, dirt, grass, plants ect.

Watering wise, drip works great, but if you get any snags, clogs, breaks ect...your only real indications sometimes might be too late when the plants are dead or dying.

The other problem is weeding might be more difficult. You can't go sticking just anything in the ground anymore when you have a drip system underneath :(

I also hate how the Netafim isn't real pliable so its difficult to unroll and keep straight..I think Rainbirds drip line is the same way. Maybe I keep getting a bad roll, but I swear it kinks up all the time.

Good luck trying to roll it back up if you don't use it all too. I just cut it up into pieces myself.

Maybe I haven't found the trick to unrolling the Netafim, but I had to do a 500 ft run on one property on a cold day and unrolling, un-kinking, and sticking in the adapters was a real pain in the ass.

I'm talking Texas cold too (50-60 degrees) which is nothing compared to you guys up North probably.

After it warmed up things got a little easier, along with finding out the real trick was to not twist the adapters in but move them back and forth.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So when did this thread turn into a whine and cry session? Jeez :rolleyes: