what are some bad advertising decisons

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EPIC, Mar 22, 2006.

1. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

direct mail newspaper phone book ,etc. ?
    what are some of the best

2. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Listing in the yellow pages is a good idea. We usually picked up a few accounts a year that way. People will get tired of the old company and pick one out at random. We got enough business from that to justify the cost of the ad.

I never tried direct mail due to the fact that some are apartments and businesses that have no grass.

Having your truck clearly labled is another good way to go. Have your phone number easy to read and a logo that is not too busy so as to be distracting.

If you local paper has a lawn and garden or outdoor living type of edition that is a good place too.

REV.

3. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

A bad advertising decision? To not do any.

4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

other bad decisions would be to spend a lot of money to advertise to a limited crowd,like to buy a large ad at the bowling alley that cost you ten times the ad space in a local paper,or to put money in ads that are not getting to people that would be your customers.You will have to try different things and track them to see what works well for you.

5. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Another BAD decision would be to place door hangers in the Projects :gunsfirin ;)

6. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

the only bad advertising i can think would be bad word of mouth.

7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

someone else advertising in my neighborhood. :hammerhead: :dancing:

oh, personally I can't stand the flyer in the bag of sand idea. Kinda cheesy IMO

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

yup. that'll sink ya right quick. the only thing I can add, is badmouthing your competition in your ads.

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Explain the Pepsi taste challenge ads.

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

The yellow pages don't work for me, and I pay $44 per month for maybe 5 or ten call per year. But for some reason I feel that I need to be in there.

I asked a bunch of people where they look for services like mine, and a lot of them mentioned a little advertiser that comes in the mail, and I found that it works for me.

I also use ServiceMagic.com. They are good for 1 or 2 leads per week in the spring, and you pay as you go...per lead.