1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What are some of the most painful parts of your business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LawnDeveloper, Feb 8, 2013.

1. JDInc

JDInc LawnSite Member

While on the subject of consultations AND something I hate doing- I recently lost one property but was asked if I would come out and give some advice on the mowing and use of his new riding mower.
    He offered to pay and I'm curious about what some of you would consider this and/or charge.
    I apologize for going off topic, I asked this in my Introduce Yourself To The Community' thread- lots of readers but no suggestions.

Oh...and dog squat. It tasted terrible, guess I'm a mouth breather...
  2. jonniebud

jonniebud LawnSite Member

yes dog doo is up there but irealy hate finding stuff that wreaks my mowers like hammers and other crap .also that guy that wants some pointers give them to him for free and write it off as p r
  3. JDInc

JDInc LawnSite Member

Yeah, I walk the properties but, invariably, there's something- even if just a napkin that shows up right as I'm going over it...never a hammer thankfully.
    About the guy, I'm with you on not charging. I know he'll insist though. He's a good guy, a bit haphazard and a talker, but he's not a problem at all so I want to help. Plus, I think he'll continue to communicate about his property, and he asked me to service his mower and winterize at the end of the season. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience. I'm also considering time and fuel.

KODAKMOWING99 LawnSite Member

i hate winter time,got time but no money
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

For me, it's closing out the daily paperwork, especially during mowing season.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Every spring when the oaks start to pollinate my eyes feel like they are on fire for weeks. All the symptoms of a cold without being sick.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

bees and the weather not cooperating are the worst for me
  8. SterlingLawn&Landscape

SterlingLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member
    from RI

Random objects through the mowers is definitely up there, for me though its gotta be poison ivy seems like every year there's more and more of it.
  9. Tsklandscaping

Tsklandscaping LawnSite Member

Napkins are really bad but i hit a stuffed animal thing one time it was bad the stuffing was EVERY WHERE i am not joking it took 20 minutes to clean it up.
  10. SterlingLawn&Landscape

SterlingLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member
    from RI

I thought everyone enjoyed newspaper confetti all over the place lol, especially on a windy day god help you so bad chasing pieces!