What are some of the things you do to keep your body from wear and tear?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darb, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

What do you do? Do you use Sun Screen? Anti-vibration gloves? Manditory water breaks? Shatter resistant sun glasses? Any others things do you do?

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I keep a bottle of water on me, I also use ear plugs, and when applicable wear a helmet.

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear comfortable clothing, especially with my boots. Ear protection always. Water breaks. When feeling the heat, take a break in the shade or inside somewhere.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

some of the things I do only work for the affected parts. unfortunately, there is no way to turn back the clock of aging by doing lawn care. BUT, all hope is not lost for the older crowd.

for example I have a chronically sore hip joint that feels better with alot of walking. therefore I walk year round. cutting grass counts as walking but on days like today I walk the neighborhood.

gloves: I don't work with out them. period.

sunscreen: not so much while I am working but always while I am on the boat or beach.

eyes and ears: I wear glasses but when needed I wear a shield or wrap around UVEX type glasses. as for the ears, I never crank a motor without ear plugs. period. I have some hearing loss and I don't know it it is from my first year or two of operating without hearing protection.

hat and shirt: shirt always on, hat optional 'till it gets hot then hat on

water: you gotta have it. sports drink is good but I never drink more than 50% sports drink on a day that hydration is needed and that is always on the hottest afternoons. remember, heat is the enemy. by the time you realize you are too hot it is too late.

power equipment: gotta have it. it does the work. I don't rake lawns or beds. I make that point first off. I'd hire someone before I'd rake!

meds: I keep up with the ones that I take.

know your limits: this speaks for itself.

GEO

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Training son to fill my place! But seriously, I use eye and ear protectin all the time.

6. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I try to work smart by using equipment instead of sweat. When I cut grass I use a ZTR mower. When I lift or dig, I use my skid steer. As has been said many times on this site, "steel is cheap".

John

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

poked eyes twice, once with branch and another with pine needles....had to go to emergency center the first time and wear patch....shouldn't been a second time. Eyes, ear and toe protection and all time. Water breaks as need be. Seldom gloves and sunscreen. Hats on ocassions.

MATT

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I do weight training and cardio exercises 6 days per week.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

safety glasses
    shooting style ear muff protectors
    sunglasses and or hat as needed (shatter resistant sunglasses I will substitute them for safety glasses when mowing or blowing or put them under safety glasses when trimming)
    workboots not tennis shoes
    always blue jeans, much tougher than anything else and you have to have your legs covered.
    seat belt in the vehicle
    never wear sunscreen though because I develop a tan as the season comes on so I don't get a burn. chics dig my farmers tan! My brother envies me for the nice deep tan. maybe i should wear sunscreen sometimes.
    leave safety controls alone on equipment!
    wear gloves as needed but my hands are calloused and tough.

thats about it.
    Safety first! :angel:

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have to wear galsses so I have impact resistant safety lenses in my glasses.
    Molded ear plugs that are made from casts to fit my ears. Better decibel reduction and more comfortable than ear muffs or the yellow inserts.
    100% cotton shirts, hats and underclothes. In my area, temps hover around 95 - 105F for six months out of the year.
    Equipment runs the best it can. There is nothing worse on a hot day than fighting a machine that doesn't want to run correctly.
    Keep the a/c off in the truck until I am on the way home.
    Water, Water and more Water.
    Set a schedule for work and adhere to it as much as possible.
    I tried sun screen, but when I sweat it runs into my eyes. That hurts!