What are some of your methods for upselling fert to the unsellable?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mower For Less, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

When you get a aeration or overseeding customer (or even lawn customer) who obviously needs to be put on a fert program, what methods do you use to commonly persuade them to use your services?

Lets say you go to do a job, and you meet the customer, talk to them about their lawn, suggest yourself for fertilization services and give them your pitch on what you can do differently and how you can help their lawn. All the good stuff you would normally do to sell a new fert customer.

Now the customer responds with something along the lines of, I've had 5 differnt fert co's over the last 5 years, and none of them have done any good. I'm going to do it myself next year with good ole' Scotts, my lawn always looked good when I used to use Scott's in the past.

Is their a way to bring these people back from the darkside, or are they gone forever???

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i usually get this from people who have used "chain" companies for ferts. i explain to them that these big chains carry 10,000 or more clients, and they can't posibly give individualized personalized service. i also have many written referels from my own clients, who state that they have tried many other companies, and were unsatisfied, then signed on with us, and are very happy as they are finally getting the results they want, how wonderful i am, how honest i am, etc, etc. works for me

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

easy-no fert program, no service from me.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

keep their address and hit them after a year of doing it on their own...the fond memories of how it looked when they did it before will have taken a big ole nasty drink of reality and they will be ready to listen once again.

5. Mower For Less

Like I said, this could be overseeding or aeration customers as well. Your telling me you would turn down a profitable job just because they wont sign with you for fert? I can see the connection to lawn service, but I'm not going to turn down a 1 time job that will make me as much or more than a whole season of doing their fert.

Kevin

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Explain to your customer or potential customer that the program will only work if their willing to follow your advice. Your on the lawn 5-6 times a year to fert & squirt, their on the lawn 24/7. Who do you think has a bigger impact on the lawn. Try not to set unobtainable expectations on the lawn.

We all hear people say they want "A golf course lawn". Lets look at most golf courses, they spend thousands on fungicides. They have a full time crew out there every day and still have problems. Sell yourself and your service. Stay within the limits of your expertize, utilize your vendors to help you sell your service.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Mscotrid!!!

8. Mower For Less

??? It may be well said under a subject of "Why do my customers complain all the time?" or "How can I defend the other guys crappy fert job?" But really it is not on the same topic as I started this thread with, and that is how to sell to those that have been burnt, not how to keep my customers that arent happy.

Kevin

9. Mower For Less

No offense, it is sound advice, just not what I was soliciting for.

Kevin

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby gave you some good suggestions. I would just add that you may want to go down to the local hardeware store and figure out for "sales purposes" what it would cost the average 10,000 k lawn to do the scotts program. They may be shocked.I find often when I remind them of the increase in fertilizer cost, they will have me do it.I noticed that this sring one store had round one with crab control in it for @$31.00 a bag. But again, if they are bent on doing it themselves, let them. Ofer to do the aeration and the like, do it, collect, move on.