What are some off the wall things to do for marketing??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

No, I am not talking about flyers, business cards, etc. Those are great but they are the same thing that everyone else is doing and you know to be a success you have to "think outside of the box" every so often.

Do you do anything "different"?

Be part of communtiy functions, give your business card to the lady at the checkout of the grocery store when you hand her the money, leave a card with the tip at the restaurant you ate at......those kind of things.

Lets hear em.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

so far, seems like you're doing better at hitting on the cashier and the waitress... :)

what is your typical clientele? is there a typical demographic that is your bread and butter? would a cashier or waitress fit that profile, or are you mainly servicing the middle to upper class market? when it comes to guerrilla marketing, i would try like hell to get some form of write-up in the local paper (tips for lawncare, whatever...).

first though, my view is that you should always look first at your current methods and be sure that you are maximizing their effectivness and thus, the ROI. ideally, you should start with your website and go from there. that's pretty out-of-the-box when it comes to lawncare. yes, many have sites, but i see maybe 1 of 25, or higher, that actually have their site working for them and not just a bullet on their business card. i see you have a site, but search yahoo or google for lawncare in your area, or even your business name and see if you are coming up.

tony

3. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok well here's one that hit me while standing in the freezing cold watching the Christmas Parade this year.

Have someone drive my truck with my lettered trailer behind it and I would operate the mower going down the street in the parade. I have to give credit to the Shriners on this one......the go-carts ALWAYS attract attention and I think the mower would too. And since everyone always wanted to be in the parade get some family members to pass out business cards with candy attached. Just think of the number of people from the area that you do business in would see your trailer and equipment and YOUR BUSINESS NAME!!!!!!!

Come on folks.....put on your thinking caps!

4. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Mine has been just by chance but a larger news paper company has interviewed me 3 times since spring. I think they might have me on speed dial. LOL

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

When all else fails--and most gee-whiz things do--getting back to and improving on the basics will always work wonders.

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

christmas parade sounds like a good idea

8. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I liked the parade idea too. But I agree with the basics comment. Thinking outside the box would work better on lower scale numbers. Like applications for jobs. When you need big numbers, seems like the basics work the best. Just keep hitting people with your name.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, sometimes its best to think "inside the box", IMO. My old boss was always trying to come up with kooky advertising ideas, never remotely got enough business to justify it. Not that you couldn't stumble upon something brilliant. I've been half-jokingly thinking about calling chiropractors and othopaedic surgeons to see about leaving business cards or flyers in their offices. Hard to cut the grass when you've got a bad back or a blown-out knee. But this would be more for a continuous, cheap advertising thing, just to keep my name out there. Even if I got a lot of calls, they might not necessarily be within my service area.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, that's an interesting point you raise. If the budget permits, a little off-the-wall advertising or promotion isn't a bad idea, so long as it is reasonable to assume the effort won't have reverse the desired effect. Still, I wonder how many of us would dream of consulting with a PR or advertising agency.

We talk about how our customers should "go pro" when getting lawn care. We do it with lawyers and accountants. Do we walk the talk when it comes to things that fall under the "communications" umbrella?