What Are Stripes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Love Thy Neighbor, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

I SAW ON THREAD ON STRIPES. THE PIC LOOKED VERY GOOD.
    I HAVE SEEN LAWNS WITH THOSE PATTERNS, ONE COLOR GOING NORTH AND ANOTHER COLOR GOING SOUTH. IS THIS DONE WITH SOME TYPE OF SPRAY? WHAT IS A STRIPING KIT. I KNOW I SOUND IGNORANT BUT THAT JUST WHAT I AM WHEN IT COMES TO THIS SUBJECT. I HAVE CUT SOME NICE PATTERNS AND NEAT LOOKING LAWNS BUT NOT WITH THAT DIFFERENCE OF COLOR GOING ONE WAY TO THE OTHER. LET ME KNOW. I WANT TO STRIPE FOR ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS I THINK THEY WILL LOVE ME.

P.S. IS THE STRIPING KIT EXPENSIVE?

2. PLC

PLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Are you even in the lawn care business?

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

What are stripes? Ever seen a skunk? :D

4. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

MY QUESTION IS WHAT ARE STRIPES AND WHAT IS A STRIPING KIT. I DON'T WANT A SMART ALECK ANSWER I WANT AN INTELLIGENT HELPFUL ANSWER.

I MAY ALREADY HAVE AN IDEA BUT I AM NOT SURE ENLIGHTEN ME.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

no caps... caps=yelling

it is impossible not to stripe with a commercial mower. Go back and forth to get the results. Try a search. The button under the banner at the top.

6. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Ignore the responses from those who don't care to help. Here is all you need to know to get started striping. It's easy. Remember, cutting grass is not rocket science or you would have to go to school for it.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/striping_information.htm

Regards,
    Keth

7. ok here goes but like mac lawn said do a search it will get you all kinds of good info.

The stripes are caused by the bending of the grass and the way the light reflects off .
    You make a pass north it bends the grass that way then you make a pass south and it bends in the opposite direction.
    The light reflecting off the bent blades makes the light and dark striping effect.

Some things to help make this effect is proper deck pitch ,the front of the mower deck should be between 1/8 and 1/4 inch lower in the front then the back of the mower deck.

There are more ways then you can shake a stick at to make a stripping kit .Chains rollers rubber flaps are a few it depends on the kind of mower and the brand it is.
    Exmark for instance sells a roller for some of their ztr mowers.
    Their is a website that can make a stripeing roller for all most any mower out there.

8. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

MacLawnco
    You've never been way down south have ya?

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry, i forgot about the warm season grasses. In my defense, he is in cool season grasses so the advice is accurate for him.

10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

nice post PLC for your 3rd one we can see what you bring to the table :(