1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what are the advantages of double blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northerncalibound, Jun 5, 2004.

1. northerncalibound

northerncalibound LawnSite Member

I want to get the best blades possible for my mowers. I have heard of double blades and I was wondering what the advantages are?
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know if there is any advantages. I tried some doubles on a 36WB and it made it cut lousy.
  3. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

I personally have no experience with double blades, but I have heard that it can cause blade clutches and belts to wear prematurely.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Doubles increase Discharge Velocity, Aid in Clipping Reduction & Reduce Clumping if you Use the Right Combination of Blades!

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

is it hard to time the blades so they dont hit eachother? say if you have 3 blades, so u figure really six if you run doubles, is it hard to time em perfect so they dont hit eachother at some point in time????

also, what is a good combo to run? mulch on bottom and highs on top? vica versa? both highs? both mulch?
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Shouldn't be a problem unless your mower has timed blades.
  7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Improves discharge capability. It also uses alot more power and some manufacturers claim it will void some warranties because the machines were made for one blade only. Something about bearings or something or other. It also increases your sharpening time.

No blades are timed. If you looked under your deck you would see that none of the blades actually touch eachoher.
  8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Except for Walkers and the outfront mowers that are dedicated baggers, i.e.-Walkers!
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

...some 32" mowers, Troy built, Cub Cadet and I'm sure there are others.
  10. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mixed on doubles - as seems to be true of everthing on Lawnsite. Doesn't it seem half of everybody loves something and the other half doesn't. My set-up: Exmark 36 Metro (belt) - some people run doubles and say it's better than sliced bread. Others say it's the pits...Whats up w/that! Same set-up. I saw no real improvement and some front end blow out, so the doubles came off. But, you get different cuts on my rig w/different blade/caster set-ups, grass types, so I would think I might find a set-up where doubles might be an improvement.
    But if doubles solved the worlds problems, how come they ain't OEM?