1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what are the advantages to liquid cooled mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jan 22, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I was looking at different z mowers. I was curious what is so much better with having a liquid cooled motor. And how many hours should i expect o get out of a liquid cooled verse a non liquid cooled motor.
    Thank you all
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

More hours out of the mower maybe an extra 1K hours. Also keeps the motor at a constant temp. I have a liquid cooled diesel and noticed the water temp goes up when just idling and when running the machine full throttle the temps goes down isntantly.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Liquid-cooled motors run predominately cooler temperatures than air-cooled. Friction is the #1 source of engine problems. Liquid helps to minimize that problem better than simply air.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Liquid cooled mowers are built with closer tolerences. (Machined more precisely.) They can be built "tighter" because they operate cooler. (More consistant temperature.)

-Cooler & Better Machined-

1.) They get better fuel economy.
    2.) They require less oil changes.
    3.) They are quieter
    4.) They last longer.
  5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Alot of people don't keep a mower long enough to worry about it.If your planning on keepin one 10years you should go with water pumper or better yet a diesel.however these dixiechopper guys are gettin mega hrs. on a/c kohlers.:blob4: