What are the benefits of a V plow?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by eskals, Aug 22, 2000.

1. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I have never done any snow plowing, but have been reading the posts here for some time. Everyone seems to recomend a V plow. But I wonder, what are the benefits of a V plow? It seems like it would be good for the initial push (by pushing the snow to either side), and then lose its effecitveness (you can only push to one side using half the with of the plow). I know that some V plows hinge so that they can be used either stright or V'ed. But is it worth the extra expense for a V plow? What are its advantages?

If all of you are recomending it, then I know that there is something I am overlooking. Please enlighten me..

Eric

2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I own one sraight blade that is less than 10ft and 9 vees, 6 years ago it was completly the opposite.If you don't own or use one I can understand the question. A v plow is rarely used in the v position for more than a pass or two in a lot or for doing longer drives, and the usually only when the snow is deep.In the full v pos. the truck does not get thrown around while busting through on an initial pass and it also takes alot less ponies,kinda like a hot knife through butter. From there its all about options, the snow can be winged to the right or left or the blade can be cupped to carve off hunks of snow to be put where you choose. And the one last benefit and the one that makes me own one more than all the rest is the picking up of those pesky trails you leave in one pass without having to redo the whole lot.

3. Alan

Alan Member

We just got our first Vee, so I'll be able to tell more in a few months.

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Here is the biggest reason to use a v plow. They save you time, and time means $$$$$. Like was mentioned the v position is rarely used,however the scoop position is where the real time saving is. I will never plow with a straight plow again.
    Dino

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am going to buy some of fishers 9.5' v plows this year for my f 550s.

Geoff

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Like I said in my orgional post, if all af you are recomending it, then there is something that I am overlooking. Well, I overlooked the fact the V plows con form a scoop. That alone would sure pay for its self in cleaning up those trails (like you guys said).

Thanks for showing me the light...

Eric

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Dino,
    Forgive me. What is the "scoop position" vs. "V" position. After hearing all of these posts I'm pretty sure I'll be buying V plows in the future. Thanks.

8. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

BRL,

The scoop position is an inverted V. It is used great for cleaning up windrows and corner. We have one 8.5 Western MVP but are looking for another one this year.

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I began using V-Plows in the late-80's, early 90's. Certainly do have their benefits.

Bear in mind their service life is shorter than a straight blade.

10. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

The certainly wil not last as long if they are not inspected and maintained,and they are certainly higher maintanence. But if they are cared for they will as long as any other plow