What are the benefits of late fall fertilization of warm season grasses? (So. Calif)

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by rob1, Dec 8, 2006.

1. rob1

rob1 LawnSite Member

This question was presented in my turf management class last night. Being in Southern Calif. i thought the benefit would be the carbohydrates would be stored in the root system for spring. Any turf mgmt graduates out there who might have an idea? Thanks.
  2. Late fall fert on warm season turf?

what would you be applying/

what is late fall application in your area compared to the first killing frost...which would make the warm season turfgrass go dormant?

suppose the instructor already gave you the answer
  3. rob1

rob1 LawnSite Member

I don't think my reply went through. If it did i apologize for sending twice, plus i didn't have a chance to check my typos! The air temperatures will drop faster than soil temperatures in the fall. The soil will still take in the fertilizer and the carbohydrates will go into root production making the spring growth stronger. Since we don't get freezes in this part of Southern Calif. the warm season turfs are dormant for a couple of months. Rarely do we get any frost.:waving:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what does your soil temp go down to?
  5. rob1

rob1 LawnSite Member

I've never done a soil temp. test, but i would estimate the soil temps in the winter would be between 55-58 degrees.