1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What are the best blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hoopsfan, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan LawnSite Member

Got an Exmark TTHP 48 hydro. Not looking to replace the blades yet, but would like to purchase replacements to keep on hand. What blades are the best at lifting and cutting? What am I looking to spend on a set of three?

2. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan LawnSite Member

Being new to the business, I really would like some ideas about what blades are the best. If this should have been posted somewhere else, please let me know which site it should be posted on.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is no "best" blade for everybody. You need to try some of the vast variety of blades available for yourself and decide which one you like best in a given situation.

For example let's take my situation. In the spring when growth is heavy I like to use 2 Dixie Chopper high lifts and 1 Gator Magnum with the Gator Magnum being on the discharge. I like the Gator Mag on the discharge because it gives a little extra mulch to the grass but it can and will make a mess in a lawn if you have heavy growth or a lot of crabgrass.

Right now I am using 3 Gator Mags because we are between summer growth and the fall leaf season. The grass isn't growing like crazy and there are a few leaves down.

In the fall when the leaves start coming down good I will use Gator Magnums doubled up so I can mulch the leaves down into the turf.
  4. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I like to use the gators for spring and fall to chop up debris into little pieces, but I use double high lifts all summer long hoping to get away with less bagging.

Trial an error. Thats the best advise.