What are the best fertilizers and seeds?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Clear-Cut, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

what brand and type of fertilizer and seeds. im in jersey if that helps

2. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I use Lesco products on MY lawn. While I am a LCO I do not get into that stuff with my customers. I have an excellent company that I refer to my customers...same guy who sprays my lawn. No better advertising that word or mouth.

DJ-:weightlifter:

3. Bolo9092

Bolo9092 LawnSite Member

same here Lesco products work good

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What part of Jersey are you in? There are a few stores in SE PA and South jerey that sell great seed and such.

Seeton Seed company is their name (??spelling) They have a location right of route 38 in NJ by Classic Chevy.

5. Clear-Cut

im up north more...im about 2 hours from philly

6. Clear-Cut

BTW..i know this is a STUPID question...im a newb and i havnt taken the training course or read the books yet (im going to do all of this and get certified in jan or feb)

what do the numbers stand for when looking at fertilizer (1-2-3)???

be easy on me..and no i am not putting down fertilizer or seeds yet because i am not certified

7. the undergraduate

the undergraduate LawnSite Member

They stand for the percentage by volume (or weight, can't remember) of Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K). For example, a 10-5-18 fertilizer is 10% N, 5% P, and 18% K. Those are the three main nutrients, however there are a lot of other micronutrients that are included, especially with organic fertilizers.

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Learn all that you can before doing any type of applications.....Knowledge is the key to having a successful Fert and weed control program. You need to know how much to put down when applying applications, when to put it down, and how to put it down. It seems simple just thinking about it, but you have to really pay attention to the seasons, the weather, and the product that you are using. I picked up a lot of accounts from different LCO that either burned the lawns, or just didnt get the job done right. I order all my Fertilizer, Lime, and Seeds from Beaty Fertilizer Co., and my Weed Control from a couple different suppliers depending on what I need. Barricade, Corsair, and MSMA are the most widely used weed controls in my area. As I have stated before in another thread, please do all the research you can because adding applications to your program is a risk/reward. Also, communication is important too, because you need to keep your customers informed on their watering program to maximize the effectiveness of the Applications, especially with Fert in the summer. I hated that i started doing applications during my first year, missed so many appts dates, and spent a lot of money. Now I have entire weeks dedicated to applications except in the summer, when the spreaders only takes us a extra 5 minutes. Liquid apps are a bit time consuming, but much better then granular.....

9. Clear-Cut

yea im going to be doing granular with a regular walk behind spreader.

where can i find information on what the different minerals do for the lawn (the N, P, and K)?

how do i know how much to use of each?

as for when to apply i found this website ( i think that i will stick mostly to fert in the spring and the fall (which is supposed to be the most important) because the grass gets dry as it is in the summer here in jersey so i dont want to screw up then..neway here is the website: http://landscaping.about.com/od/grassgrowingtips/qt/fertilizingLawn.htm

here is a sample schedule from the site:
    im not saying im going to use scotts..but if this schedule is accurate than i would want to use something that is close to the products listed here. (btw i took a trip to my local homedepot just to look at some fertilizer and they have lesco fert there)

sorry if i am being a p.i.t.a. if anyone knows any websites that would be awsome. but feel free to type it out if you want. all help is greatly appreciated.

10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Scotts and home cheapo Lesco aren't any good.....they are designed for homeowner, not commercial use. They are slow release, very slow. As far as the Lesco product, its different from what Lesco sells themselves. Most chain store carry the fool proof fertilizer, to avoid having every tom dick and harry sueing them for burning their lawns. You would be better off buying the cheap brand for $2.99 for a 20,000 sq ft Bag..LOL...;) ....But if you are serious about doing apps, learn, get legal, and get ready for some long days.....Stay away from the big chain stores, you will be very disappointed....JMO.....Maybe someone has had great success from the chain stores, but I know their profit margins are much lower because they are paying a much higher price.....