What are the best resources on trimming and pruning ornamentals?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by shearbolt, Jan 24, 2004.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

I'm planning on doing more ornamental maintenance this summer and I need to know more about the timing and techniques of trimming and prunning. Does anyone recommend certain books, websites or videos to help me become more knowledgeable?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously though, Dr. Ed Gilman (I think from U of Florida) has been promoting the timing of pruning any time it can be done correctly.

I haven't heard him talk, but I assume by this he means proper cuts made at a node, not shearing. Of course, I think he also leans more towards trees when he talks, but this is a very important point. Do it correctly!

In general, if it flowers, prune it right after it's done flowering, if possible.

HTH. Do a search if you need more info. Any book by Michael Dirr might be a good place to start.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Shearbolt,

Here is a book I found that may be helpful. Click image for link.

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

5. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

6. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if it would be feesible for you to do this, but you should be able to get into a college course with no problem. You Would be signing in as a nontraditional student. That's what i did a couple of years ago and i learned alot of information from it. This is just another option.