What are the costs for a Solo LCO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by VMcNeill, Sep 18, 2006.

1. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

I'm working on business plan for my LCO next spring. Trying to figure out what some of the costs will be. So far I have this:

Equipment - 30,000 for top of the line equipment.

general liability insurance- 600/year

commercial truck insurance- 700/year 1990 chevy truck.

gasoline - calculating 5200/year

maintainance of equipment- not sure about this one.

Pest control license test- Anyone from Texas can correct me if I'm wrong, but so far as I can tell it should only cost around $400 to get it.

advertising- 1000/year - at least this is what I'm planning to spend next year.

Those are the only ones that I can think of, I'm sure there are many more, if you can think of any please post it. Keep in mind that this is for a solo operation.
  2. Shorts

Shorts LawnSite Member

If you already have the truck I think $30,000 for equipment is a bit steep. You can easily purchase new commerical mowers for $2,000 - $6,000 a piece. Being solo 2 mowers and a small 21 incher should do. Then figure $500 for the blower $500 for the edger and $500 for the weed eater. As for a trailer your looking at around $4000 for enclosed and $2500 for open.

You will need other odds and ends and possible back up equipment but you should be able to deck your rig out for $20,000.

good luck
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i cant remember for sure who posted it, but there is a great thread here on these cost you are looking at, and it was very complete..... try a search using (cost of doing business)
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Expenses are one end of the business plan? What about the income?

From what you have said in this thread (may be others that explain your position), but I gather you are just starting out, without any customers. Is this right? If so, planning to spend $30K on equipment, with no customers, would never fly for a business counselor. Or, there is more to your story, a part that explains how you will have a customer base quickly to justify having $30K of equipment.

I think most solo operators build their equipment list as the work load demands. The one-at-a-time residential customer cares not how much extra equipment you have back at the shop or on the trailer, they are merely looking to get their grass cut for a reasonable price. Your rates would have to be much higher than competition to amortorize off that kind of initial equipment expense.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, cut the equipment a little and up the Ads
  6. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

The equipment(except for trimer, blower and edger) will all be bought with earnings(if any) throughout the year. Total initial investment will be around 4,000.