What are the differences between an Exmark and a Toro???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What are the differences between an Exmark and a Toro???

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If so, the deck is different. Toro uses their SFS decks. The fuel tanks are black...not much else.

If you are talking walkbehinds. You can buy an Exmark which is all Exmark. The have fixed and floating deck models. You can buy a Toro that is all Toro. They have their own floating deck model that has T bar steering. Or you can buy the Toro with the Exmark fixed deck, which is actually an Exmark Metro with the T Bar controls.

So to answer your question simply....it's mostly a difference in decks :)

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

TORO bought out exmark.same z rider different deck

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Seen the new Toro WB's at the Indy GIE. They are now using the Exmark carrier frames. They even now offer pistol grips in place of the T-bar for those that like to work a little harder, all for the same price as the T-bar model.

The ZTR's are all the same except the decks which are stamped and welded on the Toro and welded on the Exmark. I did not look real close, but there might be some motor differences on each names model.

5. Vibe Ray

What's a stamped deck? I've heard that before...

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It basically means the deck is formed out of a single piece of sheetmetal, unlike a fabbed deck that is a bunch of plates welded together. A stamped deck may be cut in places to relieve stress and welded for strength as well.

7. Vibe Ray

what are the pros and cons of both??? Thanks for clearing that up.

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

They usually claim that a stamped deck has a better air flow due to the forming of the deck by smooth rounded edges, curves, etc.. Keith is right about welding on the stamped decks. Usually stamped decks are a lighter gauge steel. Toro, several years ago, added a welded bull nose to the front of the deck for added strength, durability, and reduction of front deck blow out.

Welded decks usually add chambers, baffles, etc... to achieve a good air flow. This is why welded units usually weight more than a stamped deck unit.

My Toro 44 has a stamped deck that has worn down on one end from rubbing concrete curbs and walls. This would not happen as quickly on a thicker gauge steel welded deck.

9. Vibe Ray

Well do they make stamped decks w/ thicker gauge steel(Toro or anyone else)? Hey aren't Toros a lot cheaper than Exmarks? Whats the average price for an equivalent of the Lazer Z 60" riding hydro w/ a 27HP LC Kawisaki engine?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Vibe,

I paid $8495.00 for mine. It's just like what your above post is. This is the way to go if you want a Lazer. It has more than enough power with the 27hp and 60" cut. Either buy the 26 EFI or if you are leary of the Kohler, buy this unit.

Good luck,