what are the gator blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bridges, Apr 28, 2000.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

What are the gator blades that every one is talking about. What is so great about this blades and where do you get them, how much. Can you use them with any mower. I have jd ztrack 54" cut.

2. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

They have teeth on them, look for them at alamia.com, they are used for mulching the grass. I don't like them because they didn't work for me unless I went a lot slower.

3. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I didn't see the gator blades there.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Bridges, you can get Gator Blades at Lesco. They are about $12.50 a blade for 20.5&quot; blades.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

Eric what is so special about this blades?<p>----------<br>Tony<br>

6. Eric ELM

They chop up the grass good and work great on mulcing leaves in the fall. I think they work best as a second blade when using 2 blades on each spincle. They don't have enough lift by themselves, but they have come out with a new Gator with more lift and are thicker. I haven't seen one yet though.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

Our mowers came with Gators on them. We changed them this year due to the fact that they left too many strands and also too much clumping. We use High Lifts now, no clumping and no strands. I've heard that the next generation of Gators is supposed to be far better but so far the dealer hasn't gotten any in. If the didn't leave so many &quot;standers&quot; I would go back to them in a minute. Also, the old ones bent far too easy.

8. DLC

DLC LawnSite Member

ERIC,WHICH BLADE DO YOU USE ON TOP? I HAVE AN EXMARK EXPLORER AND I AM USING THE DOUBLE BLADES AND I CANT TELL WHEN MY BAGGER FILLS UP BECAUSE IT CUTS THE GRASS UP SO FINE I LOVE THE TWO BLADES

9. Eric ELM

I've tryed about all combinations possible over the years. It doesn't seem to make much differance if the gator is on top or bottom. In the spring when the grass is juicy, I think a highlift and a regular works best. It will mow wet grass and not clump at all with my Chopper with this combo. If I use a Gator, it will ball up at times when it's wet.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Hey ERIC,<p>Please keep me informed if you hear anything about those new generation gators coming out. It would be great if they combine gators and high lifts into blade.