1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What are the laws in your state???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy73, Mar 20, 2003.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Im just wondering what the law is in other states when it comes to straping down mowers and other stuff. I live in Minnesota and the law is, all mowers and other equipment must be straped on all for corners, and everything else needs to tied down as well. The we've ever put on mowers is two or three straps, on skid loaders we always put four but for mowers it seems like over kill... Is this the law in every state??
  2. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Most states with Interstates have adopted the Federal Highway Safety Act in order to receive matching Federal Funds for the building and maintenance of roads ( if it isn't adopted the Fed. wont give ya your own money back HA). In addition to speed limits,DUI enforcement, automotive safety standards and a host of other regulation standard they also regulate trailers and contents. I believe all equipment transported on an open trailer is required to be secured. Equipment over 500 lbs. must be secured with 3/8 steel chain or approved binder (ratchet strap) for every 500 of weight. While this may be the law, selective enforcement and interruption may well very state by state or city by city. I think.
  3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my trucks got pulled over last summer and ticketed for having a shovel in the back that was'nt attached, the cop said that if the truck was to roll the shovel could become airborne......If im in a truck thats rolling over i think that i have bigger things to worry about, don't you??
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You would think the cop would too:dizzy: Makes you wonder...
  5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

In SD the law is as tough or tougher than MN. I travel in both states and have gotten to know carrier enforcement in MN quite well. Never had any problems but have been checked a lot.

In SD the fine for unsecured load is $100.00 PER ITEM. One landscaper had 18 big rolls of sod on a trailer. 1800 fine.

If that shovel comes loose, you may have bigger things to worry about, but what about that innocent person in another vehicle.

Austreim Landscaping