What are the most common grassy weeds you deal with?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TL1981, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TL1981

TL1981 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Like the title says, what are the most common grassy weeds you deal with? More specific to my question is the midwest guys especialy IN,MI,IL, OH region. Besides the obvious crabgrass.

2. im not licensed to treat turf and i am in Florida, but the main one's i see to be a common issue are goosegrass,crabgrass, sedge, and bermuda. On wet/damp sites, torpedograss.

3. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

brome ,k31, forage ryes and the other 10,000 native and forage grasses that form multi-colored clumps in outer perimeter of the lawn .I had a neighborhood full of orchard grass this year do to a adjoining alfalfa field .They commonly over seed declining hay and pasture ground and guess where it ends up .If I can id it ,good .If I do not have the time to rack my brain, it gets round up ,sod or seeded .Hence the term tolerable threshold quantity.

4. mishmosh

mishmosh LawnSite Member
    from OH

Nutsedge, poa annua, poa trivialis, creeping bentgrass, nimblewill, quackgrass.

5. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Crab grass, Bermuda, Poa Annua, Nasty fescues, etc

6. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Must be a Texas thing

8. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

goose grass, orchard grass, foxtail, yellow nut sedge, smooth crabgrass, Poa annua,

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

K31 and Quackgrass. Quack being the worst problem you can have around here.

10. cecropia11

cecropia11 LawnSite Member

never had a problem with Quack grass, but orchard grass I have, I have a K31 fescue lawn.