What are the most unneeded things we do as LCO's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jun 28, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Balance blades, too frequent oil changes,plug changes etc, washing and waxing mowers? I'm not saying any of this is not necesary just looking to save time?
  2. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I don't know about anyone else - but that's the kind of work I do when I have no other work to do (i.e., raining, drought, snowing, etc.) Its kind of like repainting your snow plow in the fall - nobody does it in January (I don't think)...
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd rather spend some time maintaining my equipment than cutting more grass because I have to buy new ones. Plus, I really like working with nice, well-maintained, dependable equipment rather than junk. Just my thoughts.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

probably not in the vein you are looking for, but IMO we hack each other and unnecessarily lower our own prices.

As far as labor goes, mowing when it doesn't need it because we charge by the cut.

No such thing as too much maintenance. If you are busy that will be self regulating.
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I wash my mowers at the beginning and end of the seasons. Maybe once in the middle. I think its a waste of time to do it more regulary. Just my 2 cents.
  6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. I cut all day in the rain today so the mower was pretty nasy looking. Spent two hours cleaning it tonight.
    It makes you look good when your equip looks good. I know a guy with a similar mower with about ten more hours on it than mine, Hasn't cleaned it once and it looks like crap. Mine looks brand new. Sure they both cut the same. But its just nice to have good looking stuff. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
  7. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

go to work
  8. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

For SOME people its post on lawnsite. :waving:
  9. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

If I ever waxed a mower...someone shoot me :dizzy:
  10. MJhnson Lawn