What are the Pros and Cons to Exmark 60" EFI Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Diamond Cut Landscaping, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Diamond Cut Landscaping

Diamond Cut Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NY

Purchased the mower with ultra-vac bagger system used with 246 hours on it. Used it for a few clean up jobs, impressed with the power and manuverability. Is there anything important I need to know about the mower being that its EFI?

Any tricks to changing the blades? I was told its a bit more tricky then changing the blades on a STAG.

Thanks ...

2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Dont run the tanks dry of gas its a pain to get it started again.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The blade bolts need about 120 pound feet of torque or they will work tighten and take up to 300 PFT to loosen. If they are too tight just use a side grinder to cut off the head and you can unscrew the bolt with your fingers.

The EFI engine is the longest lasting, most economical to operate, air cooled engine available for the lawn care industry.

Oldtimer

4. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

This is very true. Also, NEVER, EVER, jump start this unit. You will burn up the ICU. Other than those 2 things, go enjoy your mower

5. Oldtimer

The same goes for welding.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So,.....Doing like I've done with every dual tanked mower over the years....would get me in trouble with the EFI Kohler?

I start the day with both tanks full. Mow until the first tanks starts sputtering.....Quick switch the tank selector valve, while at the same time pulling full choke.....Sputters for a second or two, then I'm fine and have another full tank to finish out the day.

THIS practice isn't possible with the EFI????

WOW!

This would be a MAJOR problem for me.

7. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have the 26EFI and the 28EFI and do just that, we just let them start to sputter, then we quickly switch to the other tank. I have had a couple guys completley run the tank dry and have just tank the fuel cap off of the other tank and switched the key to on and let it cycle a few times until I can see no more air coming out of the fuel return line on the tank. Havent had any problems yet.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I think that when they run out of gas they must go into some sort of limp-home mode. If it should happen and you don't notice that you are running out and it stalls, swap the tank than let it sit for 10 minutes or so. If you try to start it immediatly it will run on one cylinder and sputter, if you wait, turn the key on a couple times(to run the electric pump) it wll start and run fine. Otherwise, these efi engines are awesome, should be standard on every mower.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Carburetors work fine for me.

10. Oldtimer

If carbs work fine what do you have on your cars and trucks.

When the EFI is run empty there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to allow for purging the air. It only takes about a minute and everything is ok.

Oldtimer