1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What are the rules on name infringement?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SkyLawncare, Apr 8, 2008.

1. SkyLawncare

SkyLawncare LawnSite Member

I just went on State of Florida's website and did a search for something similar to what I planned on and came up with a company of similar name.

I don't need a business license where I reside. I was planning on going with Sky Lawncare / skylawncare.com. I see there's a company registered near Orlando with the name Sky Lawn Service, LLC.

Is there a conflict of interest there or am I good to go?

I know theres lots of companies across the country that share the same name. I don't know if this would ever be an issue because the names are technically different, or if it would only be an issue if I has a business license in the same city.

I'm guessing I don't have anything to worry about, but it's always good to think about / ask about these types of things.

2. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

if theres is sky lawn services and yours is sky lawn care, totally different name. in florida there was MJ Lawn Care
    and i have M.J. Lawn Care back when i got my LLC

where at in jacksonville

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds good. Google it. If nobody uses that exact name in your state, Go for it.

4. SkyLawncare

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the reassurance. :usflag:

5. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

where you at in jacksonville

6. SkyLawncare

I live in your service territory! ;)

J/K :laugh:

I'm in Clay County.

7. SkyLawncare

Well actually, I see on your website that you service orange park and surrounding areas, so I guess I do live in your service territory. :eek:

Kudos btw for having a website :clapping:

8. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

are you in fleming like around eagle harbor, i figured when you said that you didnt need a lisence it was in clay.

9. SkyLawncare

I actually live closer to middleburg. I can imagine with all the competition and low-ballers around here you might not be enthusiastic regarding my arrival :hammerhead:

Find it kind of funny not only are we both in the same area, but we joined the site the same month/year.

10. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

its not that bad, theres so many homes and im just put out some more flyers today and hopefully ill get some more yards, but more competition is not always bad, i have got more yards from other companies where they didnt want them or they wanted some over in another part of eagle harbor and i wanted these or vice versa, wierd how stuff works out, let me know if ya need some help or have some yards, always looking for more work lol