What ARE the rules?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KS_Grasscutter, May 14, 2007.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, been hearing on here and also locally that people are getting pulled over by the DOT, and getting lots of fines, or lots of warnings that could be fines. I guess I havent been looking in the right places, but I CANT find a list of exactly WHAT we HAVE TO HAVE to be legal. Anyone know where I can find this? I want PROOF, not just someone's opinion on what is legal in their state. Maybe there is a website out there that outlines what the rules are in every state?

2. try your state D O T website.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I did. My state's DOT website kinda SUCKS if you want to find anything...maybe I just didnt look hard enough, will check it again.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

5. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

http://www.kansashighwaypatrol.org/faqs/trailers.html
    Here is some I found. I used to do work in Kansas and the cops would wait down at the dump and bust everyone. They took the trailers into impound on the spot. A good friend of mine that worked for the city told me a local trailer company kept turning everyone in to get a ton of work.
    I also know they had written tickets for not having break-away brakes, tires (wrong rating), too heavy of a load, and incorrect drivers license. I think they just made up stuff to increase cash flow:rolleyes: .
    I work in Missouri but close to Kansas and really couldn't find much about Missouri. I called the Missouri Department of Transportation, Missouri Highway Patrol and none of them had a clue so I guess if you have a drivers license and think the thing will make it down the road you are in good shape here:clapping: .

6. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

GCWR has to be over 10,000 lbs. to do much in Missouri and looks like Kansas uses that same weight for some of the laws.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In virginia it's 26,000 lbs. gcvwr, but one thing worthy of mention is that it is the RATING, whatever your truck + trailers gcvwr is, that is what counts.

8. bigbone

bigbone LawnSite Member

KS Grasscutter, what is your truck + trailer GCWR? Also, do you have to register your trailer?