1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What are the steps to start a landcape maintenance company in Connecticut?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slimreynolds, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

Do you have a link to where you are getting your info?

2. Slimreynolds

What about the sales and use tax permit? Would you still need that sinice landscaping maintenance service is a taxable service?

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. Slimreynolds

5. Darryl G

If you don't see it in the act it's exempt. I have personally confirmed this with staff at Consumer Protection, which all of this falls under. I believe it's also in the home improvement contractor guide or whatever they call it. I get errors trying to read it, maybe it's just me.

Trust me, maintenace is exempt and was not the intent of the act. The intent was to put the brakes on these guys who would do a free inspection of an old widow's house and give them an arm long list of improvements they needed to make, sell it on the spot and get a deposit and never provide anything. In some cases the materials would arrive as well, requiring another payment installment, but never get installed. The act sets up a fund with the money from the license fees to reimburse people who get ripped off.

Unfortunately their are no requirements that you actually prove any proficiency in performing any home improvements. You could have never picked up a hammer or a shovel in your life and get the license.

I used to closely follow all of the state legistlative acts and ammendments and what not. I used to be in the enviornmental consulting and engineering field and one of my tasks was performing compliance audits, so I had to keep up on upcoming and current regulations. We would go into a commercial or industrial facility and determine any and all regulations they were subject to and recommend a plan for coming into full compliance. I guarantee I could find violations for practically anyone on this forum, including myself, lol.

This should be the best link, should have provided it earlier.

http://www.ct.gov/dcp/cwp/view.asp?a=1629&q=446966

6. Slimreynolds

Ok I believe you. What about the insurance? He said you need to be licensed to get insurance.

7. Darryl G

You don't need the home improvement license to get insurance. You very well may need a business license for the insurance company to consider insuring you. In CT you also have to pay the annual business entity fee which I think is $250 and a $10/year registration fee.

I found getting insurance the hardest part. It seemed that all of the insurance companies wanted a minimum of 3 years of experience and claims history before even considering insuring me. Maybe I just called the wrong companies...dunno. National Grange Mutual took me but it wasn't cheap. I have Peerless through an independent agent now.

8. Slimreynolds

I'm going the sole proprietor route so I don't need to pay the BET. I have to look into the business license. Not sure if I need one if filing as a sole proprietor.

9. Darryl G

The Sales and Use Tax Permit bascially is a business license. It sounds like that's all you'd need then and an employer ID# if applicable. I consulted with both and attorney and an accountant before starting up to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I also found the info our state has on the DRS website for starting a business helpful.

http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?A=1454&Q=266112

10. Slimreynolds

Hey Darryl, is it also OK for us to do mulching and snow removal without a license?
    Posted via Mobile Device