What are these rocks worth

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawn jockey, Nov 4, 2001.

1. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

:( I have a freind whose barn has fell down Im taking my excavator over there to take the beams out for hy ponds. But I was noticing the rocks are all cut to be around 2.5 to 3 ft. long to 1.5 wide and thick I think these would be awesome for a retaining wall and was wondering if anyone had any idea of what they are worth THANKS

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I pay $81 a ton deliveried

3. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

$81/ton for large CUT blocks of stone? Around here we pay $30/ton for raw uncut stone at the quarry loaded by ourselves.Plain flagstone on pallets at the yard costs $225/ton. I would pay at least $300/ton for cut blocks of stone,loaded on my truck. If you have to sort, load etc. much less, say $225/ton

4. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

:D Thanks GUYS that gives me an Idea

5. digger242j

digger242j LawnSite Member

I found Lawnsite through Plowsite. I don't do lawns, but every now and then I get to do a wall, or a patio. Just like plowsite, there's lots to learn here.

On the subject of rocks....

I do a lot of my excavating in the city, so there's often an old foundation where I'm digging. I've dug up old wall stones--mostly sandstone that's been roughly rectangular, at least on one face, mostly between 1 and two feet long, and 8 inches to a foot thick, and I've sold them to a landscape supplier for $40/ton. I think he got at least twice that when he sold them.

On a similar subject, what are you guys paying for Belgium Block? Sometimes I find granite ones, but mostly they are limestone. I wonder how much difference your location makes in the price too. I'm in southwestern PA.

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Kermit -

If your website is indicative of the size projects you do, the price discrepancy does not surprise me. Paul does projects that are orders of magnitude larger than yours, which gives him access to prices far better than most mere mortals.

When I walked through Midam with him and most booth reps knew him by name, you got the sense that he did a good volume of work.