What are they doing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jc1, Mar 14, 2007.

1. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A local fert company was out today spraying shrubs today. Basically they hit every tree and shrub in the beda around the house. What pest would they be targeting this early in the season? Any Ideas? This is in southern NJ

2. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

and it wasn't chemlawn?

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Dormant oil.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

If they hit everything then that was a newbie spraying hort oil. They used to tell the techs to spray everything that wasn't blue until they learned what was what.

5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I'd spray too. You aren't going to make any money by not spraying. Your eyes should be on your company and not worried about what others are doing. If you see companies running around now you need to get started and begin to push your advertising campaign. If you do, you will get a flood of jobs coming in. Thats what I did and my schedule is packed two weeks out. It pays to pay attention to others, if their out working you should be also.

6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That was one big circle you made there.

7. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently passed the tests and have my license for turf and ornamental. I have spent alot of time reading posts here and at various university sites to educate myself. I have focused on Turf and have marketed that service so far. I was out starting my first round of applications which is when I saw them spraying shrubs etc. I appreciate the fact that someone answered my question and now can spend some time educating myself on it. It's not a bad idea to watch your competition, it may help you in your own marketing. At least now if one of my customers see's the shrubs in a neighbors landscape being sprayed and inquires about it I can give them an intelligent answer.

8. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

JC, next time you see them spraying take the time to stop and ask them. In Wisconsin if anyone asks I need to show them my license and certification. We also must let anyone who ask's what we are applying. I ask others when I see them quite often. Let us know what you find out. PR

9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

As long as temperatures stay above freezing for 24 hrs its OK to spray.

Dormant Oil spray is in my opinion the absolute best application you can make. It will greatly improve your whole tree / shrub program by smothering overwintering insects/mites and their eggs. Safe, non toxic and inexpensive.

Properly done it will reduce or even eliminate other tree/shrub treatments.

For you inviromental wacko's it is the basis of IPM programs.

10. Chunkster27

Chunkster27 LawnSite Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dKoester
    Your eyes should be on your company and not worried about what others are doing. ...It pays to pay attention to others

That was one big circle you made there.

lolololol