What are they thinking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alwaysgreener, May 24, 2005.

1. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

A few of my good clients called me to say there is a new LCO in town going around and doing the following services:

5 apps of fert
    28 mowing's
    Trimming weekly
    Edging weekly
    Spade edging of ALL flower and tree beds 2 times a year
    Core aeration (fall)

All for a whopping 14 bucks a week. Most yards are on a 1/4 acre. I just laughed and went on my way. I Called both crews and had a 3:30 meeting to tell them what is going on and made sure if a customer comes out to talk to you about this please tell them to call the office. They all laughed also (Still shaking my head and laughing)
    :jester:

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Is that $14 per week for 52 weeks? If so, that's $728. That works out to about $20 per visit. 28 cuts, 5 ferts, 2 bed edging and 1 aeration. That's still not much, but it is more.

Does that include the cost of the fertilizer?

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

How could they possibly apply fertilizer 5 times in 28 visits? That's once every 5-6 weeks.

Sounds like they're selling snake oil.

4. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

No it is only a 28 week schedule = $392 for the year that includes fert in the price. God bless them... :p

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Let the morons go under. Like they say, the world need ditch diggers too...

6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

These suck. Seems like a good deal to the customer, until they see the quality. I would do like you do and not even bat an eye. Educate your customers and show them the quality you provide. These guys are fly by night, and unfortunately when they discover they cant make it, some other idiot is right behind them trying it out.

8. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

A couple of years ago there was a guy here who mowed for, a "guaranteed price" of $7.00. He also used a pull behind tank sprayer and had a "guaranteed price" of $1.00 per gallon of mixed pesticide used on the lawn. Also, a pesticide license was for suckers. Young kid, 25 years old. He now works in a factory assembling air conditioners. He told me that I need to get out of this biz now because there is no money to be made. :dizzy: He didn't even make a dent in the market here. Most people knew he couldn't do a good job for very long. He did do a good job, by the way. His theory was that at those prices he could drive all the other companies out of business and the set his own price later. That business plan worked real well. :laugh:

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Surely these guys must understand that there is a lot of overhead coming out of those prices. Perhaps they even have an idea of what they are netting per hour out of the gross.

To own a business with all the headaches and responsibilites for chump change makes little sense.

I'm 20% under last years prices trying to get more volume and get established, but for seven bucks a yard I'll get out and give my equipment to a charity organization. That's right, I'll give a brand new Metro HP to the Salvation Army. At seven bucks a yard equipment has no value.

10. lawnsplus

lawnsplus LawnSite Member

Always Greener,

Pro Lawns is a thorn in my side as well....

Well let me say that I am pretty sure that is who you are talking about...

Anyway.. I just ask when giving my proposal, are you happy with your lawn care? If they say yes then I don't even bother, if they say know I ask what are they willing to pay to be happy!!

I hate lowballers... They must be making money they are back again this year!!