What are thr chances of being caught without a pesticide license

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I was just wondering (no point intended) what are the chances of being caught with out a pesticide applicator license. If I "on the side apply pesticide" even the ones form homedepot or lowes.

2. whats the chances of getting caught driving without a license.

3. Sorry, but the fact that you want to do this earns no respect with me. There are people out there who worked long and hard to get licensed and paid their dues. You are just stealing from those people.

4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

any one from company that has a license and sees you out with out the license on your truck will turn you in

5. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

License on my truck?

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

To be clear, I DO NOT apply pesticides but I find it funny that applicators are so uptight about the ones that are unlicensed and their reasoning is that they are taking work from them. IF YOU are truly concerned it should be because they may apply something that harms a pet or person and casts a black eye on the industry. There are people in every field that do work without the proper licences some probably at your alls house/business. Get over it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I have no intesntion od doing this but a friend of mine is doing this. I am studying for the test and will take it next month I am the last guy on earth to be caught doing anything illegal. And I totally respect the industry. i am a professional in my current job and hate to see guys lie there way in. It does, however, happen.

8. I'm not an applicator, but they are stealing business from guys who put in the work to get the proper licensing.

Yes, that is the main concern, improperly applying pesticides, but that is a given since they are asking how easy it would be for them to get caught.

I'm not losing sleep over these guys, trust me. But it is wrong and should bother you to some degree b/c these are the guys driving the industry and prices down.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It is not so much that they are taking away business from licensed applicators. But the risks for applying without a license are great. If you are caught without a license the fines are expensive. More than you'll make fines.

You are dealing with state agencies and federal regulations. So there is also potential criminal charges as well. Is it worth it for you to apply without a license? You like jail, you want to loose your home, truck and whatever else you may own? Your call.

As far as the licensed applicators, yes we are uptight about it, because of the training and testing we go through to show that we are proficient at application. Are using chemicals that are not found at the garden center, and more effective than the off the shelf home depot chemicals.

If they are not certified, not taking proper precautions in handling chemicals and other general stupidity reflects poorly on the industry. By being certified you take steps towards safe handling and safe application and better than someone using watered down ineffective weed-b-gone.

If you want to go into business do it right, seek the training and certification and carry insurance for your own sake. Well that and your customers peace of mind.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel it is not necessarily the fact that unlicensed applicators are taking away work from us that have paid our dues and become legit/ licensed/ responsible applicators, it is the fact that the unlicensed applicators and homeowners that apply incorrectly are destroying and poluting the environment, and giving the industry a 'black eye' when mis-applying products and we will all suffer the consequences when pesticides are banned.