What are you charging me per hour?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, May 8, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Do you ever get this question after bidding a job. It makes me feel quite uncomfortable because I know that 99% of the customers would flip if I say that I try to get around $60/man hour. I have had a couple customers in the past week that have asked this after recieving the quote that they seemed comfortable with only to flip when they hear our hourly rate.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I dont quote my hourly price. If they ask, I tell them I price by the job.

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Just chuckle, scratch your chin, and say:

"After taxes, licenses, fuel, oil, maintainance time and costs, accounting and administrative time and costs, liability insurance, health insurance, blah, blah, blah........I'm lucky if I break even."

If they continue to push for the answer...tell 'em it's really none of their business. That's why you price your work by the job. Buh-bye!

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When someone asks me I say the same thing. I price by the job.

5. I'm going to counter with, "Why?" Then see if I can eventually get them to hang themselves on being judgmental.

But you know, to someone ignorant of the expenses behind running a profitable Lawn Care business, $60/hr does seem outrageous for "yard work."

6. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

No need to tell them.

I don't quote hourly. If they demand a rate, I offer to bid time and material. Fixed and variable costs + my time. Then go slow.........Be sure to include a "total job bid" with the time and material quote. They'll catch on after a mowing or 2.

7. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I always bid by the job. I have not been this business long but I would never bid by the hour.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto.

If they press, I ask them do they want the before tax, insurance, licenses, maintenance, fuel, oil, tires, brakes, blades, trimmer line, paper, stamps, ink cartridges, business cards, stamps, envelopes, pens, electricity, vehicle inspections, accountant fees, payroll, cell phone, office phone, fax line etc. hourly rate or the before paying all that hourly rate.

Usually that confuses them enough that the job price is sufficient.

9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

I agree - never, ever give out "hourly" prices - it will just cause you problems

10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I NEVER bid anything hourly. I was saying that I gave a price for the job and the lady asked how many hours do you plan on the job taking. If you tell them they can quickly determine your hourly rate as well.