What are you doing to stimulate the economy?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Feb 6, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Watching CNN and seeing the unemployment rate jump to 7.4% nationally and 10.6% for Michigan, it's mind blowing. So what are you doing to help? Buying? Hiring? More education? Cutting rates to help customers?

I employ two people, and hope I can provide one or two more jobs this spring. One of my techs is struggling right now due to getting the unemployment run around. I started having him working at the shop parttime yesterday and will end up paying him for a lot of BS work, just so I know he will be around mid-March when I need him. I'll even have him work at my home on a few little projects soon.

I will also on a case by case basis, offer a break to some longtime customers when I deem fit.

One landscaper I work with has said they will not be getting their regular H2B guys this year. Or any for that matter. That means they will have to train all new guys. Which will slow things down and lower quality until they learn. They are also cutting crews and going to one major crew and one small job crew. This company has nothing going right now either, but is keeping their three main guys working at the shop and yard, just to make sure they have a job and will return.

So any plans for stimulating the economy in your plans? Buy locally? Hire and expand? Anything?

2. We just had a bad ice storm here, and one could almost say that stimulated the economy here with all the generators that were sold, restaurants packed, all motels full, chain saw sales, out of town utility crews. There was and still is a lot of money being spent here. Myself I bought a new truck in December and filled up my fuel tanks, so I did a little.

3. Ignore Obama and the doom and gloom democrats for sure. Ran on Hope and Change and has done nothing but erode America's confidence and let the leftists write a screw the taxpayer over stimulus bill. What a bunch of frauds in Washington. The whole Ivy league east coast mentality is screwing this country up good for us and the next two generations. The west coast mentality sux as well. Fly over country needs to cut these two cancers out of our life.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't start this to get into a political ***** fest. There are obviously millions of people without jobs. Businesses going under everyday. I don't care if you hate Obama and the Democrats. What can you and I do to help the country. Not just our own wallets.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

....as opposed to the able stewardship of The Crawford Kid....

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy by contributing to the bailout debacle right now. I'm so disgruntled over this whole thing. Other than that, I'm buckling down for a rough season. Going to ride out the bad times.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

But you're also taking a vacation and spending money in Colorado next week. Two thumbs up!!

8. How about we get the guillotine out and start beheading every wall street biz executive that voted himself a pay raise when he knew his biz was hemorrhaging billions of dollars.

9. You will be begging for the Crawford Kid in a couple of years.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That would be a good start. Greed and power have greatly contributed to this problem. Wall street execs, CEOs and full board members, professional athletes and their agents. But IF we did want to get political, most big businesses seem to be Republican backed, which would indicate that more Repubs have contributed to the greed and overspending. That is IF we wanted to get political here :)

I could sit on my bank account and let my employee suffer like I did years ago. But instead I'm paying him even though we have no money coming in.