What are you doing?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ducke, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

It was a long and restful winter but now were back on the lawns.
    With each year that passes I seem to get a little bit slower to recover each day.
    40 lawns on Monday is fine but Tuesday its 30-35 Wednesday its 25-30 and so on.
    What are you doing or taking to help with muscle recovery ?
    I drink lots of water and eat right lot of fresh fruit and Veggies etc..
    Ok I do like my beer and the occasional Rum:drinkup: but not any great amount.
    I don't smoke and try to avoid Junk food at all costs.
    Oh did I mention I am 47 year old this year ? :eek:
    Oh to be 18 again and doing 40-50 lawns and then heading out to party half the night.:D now all I want to do after 2:00pm is find a nice cool shade tree and snooze.

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

my only suggestion is to stay in shape during the off season, i'm 50 working solo with 38 accounts now and getting calls almost every day lately. i stay in shape year round, working out twice as much during the off season so once the mowing starts up i dont have any problems going all day. and feel more like i'm in my early 20's.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just one little step, one lawn, and one day at a time.
    Nice and easy does it.

4. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I eat a Aleve sandwich when I get home.
    LOL
    RCGM
    Brad

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Work smarter not harder. At 60 I know the boby can not keep up.
    Hire someone younger, use more efficient equipment and above all, know when to say no.
    What we do for a living is not going to be remembered or appreciated after were gone.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

At 43 I have become an equiptment buff. Makes the wife but its the only way I can keep up.

I do miss those party nites

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'm turning 36 next week, I know that sounds young, but I have beat my body for 18 yrs doing this. I also remember putting in 12-13 hr days, then going out dancing, not anymore.

I had some nasty hip problems 2 yrs back, after running the gammet of drug therapies prescribed by my Dr. I was so messed up I could hardly work at all. My neighbor is a Chiropractor and thought he could fix me right up... willing to try anything, I went to him. He was right. He taught me a bunch of stretches to keep my muscles more relaxed and allow my hips to not be torqued out of alignment, I have found stretching to be the best thing for sore tired muscles. I try to stretch my legs, hips, and back everyday, and it makes a huge difference.
    I found several books and videos at the library showing many effective stretches, I'm not into newage mumbo jumbo, but yoga is really good, very relaxing and your muscles feel great after a 20 minute session.

I also exercise in the winter, sometimes in the summer/fall too after the spring rush. 4 days/week on the elliptical trainer, 2-3 days/wk on the bowflex, this helps too.

8. Sardean

Sardean LawnSite Member

can't say enough about the yoga...yeah it seems corny, but the stretching you get really does help. i've been beating my body up for years...surfing, ice hockey, etc...now i'm 37 and on one hand i know i feel older than i used to and it takes a few minutes to get things going in the morning, but on the other hand, so many of the people i grew up with are fat and lazy it's insane. i feel like i'm at the age where if i take care of myself now it will make a world of difference in 10, 20 30 years. the guys i know that are 50 pounds overweight and going downhill?? i can't imagine what aging will be like for them....

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Seems to me adding more on you such as excersize would just wear you down more. Of coarsse I stay busy year round.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Haha. That's funny.

I'm only 29 but feel a long way from my 20 year old days when I was running a W/B for LawnTamer all day long with no sulky...

I play basketball 4 mornings a week to keep me somewhat mobile. It gets me up early, works my muscles, and gives me something I do that is just for ME. Really good therapy... Though the injuries come with increasing frequency...