What are you doing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, May 4, 2004.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is indirectly related to lawn care but if it has to be moved so be it.
    I was spraying today and I was working late if 6PM is late so I have 20 gals of spray left and I can do 1 more 10K lawn. It was slightly breezy but not terrible because the yard was completely protected by trees and evergreens. I have a new customer who just moved in over the winter. The lawn needed help and my first pre em/fert did good. Its now time for the weeds.
    I pulled up on a suburban type street and place my flags first. I then start the Walker because that has the sprayer on it. I start doing the lawn and the neighbor is in his front yard and sees me, we make eye contact for a second. He sticks around out front for a bit and goes away. I spray the entire front side and 3/4 of the backyard when he appears at the fence.
    Hey what are you doing, he asks.
    I told him that I was spraying for weeds and he said thats what he thought. He then asked if I always work this late because most guys do this during the day. I said that yes I work late and the wind usually dies down later in the day. He said that he has kids that can't play in the yard because it smells (speedzone). I said that as it dries it usually smells. He said he has 2 kids and one has a heart problem and on and on. I listened but thought, do I have to be a mindreader too. I also stated that I did not see any children playing. He said his garage smelled and he became more agitated after I asked him why he waited almost 25 minutes after he saw me in the front yard.
    He said so if he would have asked me to not spray, that I wouldn't. I said yes. I have no problem coming back if someone asks nicely.
    He said that he was gonna talk to the homeowner (for what I don't know) I apologized for the inconvenience and stayed professional. He just walked away and I could tell he was pizzed. I was a little mad inside because he seemed to have baited me by letting me go so long but I just stayed professional.
    I finished 2 minutes later and then knocked on the homeowners door to explain what had happened. No one home. I e-mailed the customer amd am awaiting a reply.

What would you do?

I am working within the rules and the smell was just the product drying. I think he is mad because that lawn is looking much better than his.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You did the right thing....stayed professional and should be congradulated for that. However, wouldn't it have been nice to shove the spray nozzle up his nose and say "how's this smell A-hole?"

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Alot of the smells are a combination of the chemical and stinching agents to let people know the pesticide has been applied. Anyone with half a brain knows the smell will go away within an hour. He just someone who wants to act like a jackass.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Does your state have a Pesticide Hypersensitivity Registry which the applicator receives in the mail quarterly? Our state does. If your state has one of those, you should have told him to get on the list, because you aren't a mindreader as to who is hypersensitive. Other than that, you did good.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

In OH, if neighbors ask to be notified in advance of apps, then you must do that. Other than that, id just let him vent and then go on my way.

6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

What a jerk! You definitely did the right thing, stayed professional and kept a cool head. I usually stay professional, but don't keep a cool head, except I'm just too slow to come up with any insults...lol;)

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You did the right thing by forewarning the customer. The customer will believe whomever he hears first!

Also, it might have helped if you'd assured the dude what your doing is harmless and that the smell is to let people know something has been applied (assumming that is all correct. . .not doubting anyone. . .just don't know for myself).

If his yard looks like crap, odds are he's just trying to make your customer's yard looking worse than his.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Had a similar situation today. I know what you went through, and I too had a hard time keeping my cool. Next door neighbor sat on her porch watching me, and looking for something to complain about. I find it amazing how some people are so miserable that the only thing that makes them happy is to make everyone around them miserable too. You did the right thing.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone have a kid with a heart problem? Possible that maybe that was his concern, not how bad his lawn looked? Chances are he saw the big sprayer, thought "deadly chemical" and thought of his daughter. Just being a good dad maybe???????????

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Then he would have addressed the issue before he started and not after he finished