What are you guys paying for shop space?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrusk, Sep 28, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Next year i will be buying more trucks, trailers, and equipment and don't want to turn my parents yard into an equipment yard, so i am looking into renting a shop.

I was just curious to what you guys were paying.
    I'm not exactly sure what i am looking to rent. It seems like most 1200-2000 sqft places are going for around 1500 in my area.

I really think my best bet is to find a farmer or someone with a decent amount of land that will just let me park my stuff in a field and drop acouple of storage trailers. Most of my small equipment is stored in the enclosed trailer.

Matt

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Man you better lock em down it seems you have everthing to lose with nobody to watch out for it.

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

$750 gets me a 1/2 acre, and a 20X40 building. Loandlord has a skid steer I can use when needed to load bolk stuff at the lot.

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

a small lot out side for all our trucks and trailers and about a 15' x40' for $350/month

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

When you are looking for a yard take into consideration travel time. I am looking into a yard for the business that is closer to the work. I have calculated a 1500 per month savings just by getting closer to the jobs. So I can spend 3-k per month on that space and only increase my costs by1500.

Zoning is tough in Phx. I need A-1 zoning which is the same thing you need for operating a nuclear power plant. I want to buy because I like to own things, especially appreciating assets. 2.2 million for the last piece of land just under 1-acre that had the proper zoning. Definitely out of my 3-K budget. So the search goes on.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I landed a great deal sometime ago.

The building that I rent is on a commercial property with many other single renters. Building is just under 1000 square feet with double doors at each end. At one end, there is a raised concrete platform on which I have 2 of my snowplows, 2 of my 550 gl. fuel tanks, and a pallet of icemelt. All of that only takes up half of the space. Plenty of parking as well for my employees, 4 company trucks and 3 trailers that I keep there.

Place is fully lighted, brand new oil furnace, concrete floor, 8 ft long work bench...I pay $650 a month.:)

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Got a great deal on this place! :dizzy:
    [​IMG]
    I just had to mow the roof down when I moved in. :laugh: :laugh:

I sent an email to my colleague about a month ago and he told me I should expect to may about $1k for a 1500 foot shop in the next town over.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

damn, and I thought I had a killer deal...nice place ya got there Matt. :laugh:

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

that should say knock me down but it looks like a stiff breeze will do that

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

I have just under 5,000 sq. ft. of shop space and about 750 of office space and I pay $2300 a month plus utilities. We also have enough parking out side for about 6 or 7 trucks and trailers. Real estate prices are finally coming down so Im in the market to finally buy something..