1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What are you guys using?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ron mexico75, Aug 19, 2013.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

A good natural starter fertilizer is 5-8-5 biosolid. I like to use a liquid inoculant with Mycorrhizae when seeding. These will provide rabid germination without excessive growth.

Just to clarify the NJ law, in addition to the regs Heritage stated, up to 1/4 lb. P is allowed per application if the source of P is organic.

2. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you're barking up the wrong tree if you're starting point is looking for a particular analysis. In my opinion, the first thing you should do is run a soil teest, so you can see what the lawn actually needs. If your soil test indicates a need for P, you can look for an analysis that will give you the P rate you need and the N rate you need.

If the soil test returns a good or optimum value for P (no P required for the existing lawn), you'll still some P for the seedlings. Most studies I've read indicate that 1# P2O5/M is sufficient to supply seedlings with P.

Remember, the particular analysis isn't as important as the amount of nutrient needed. When you confine yourself to a particular analysis without doing the soil test and the math, you risk overapplying or underapplying.

When we have these tools and knowledge at our disposal, why guess?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In an overseeding situation--you run the risk of stimulating the old grass--and not get much new grass to establish. Then again, grass is grass so its hard to tell whether you have more old grass or more new grass. Then again, it probably does not matter. Unless your new grass is special--for instance--disease resistant.