What are you paying for Credit Card Processing??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Mar 1, 2010.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I just finished agreeing to some new rates for processing our credit card transactions.

What a scarey industry! Scarey in the sense that so many have no idea what fees and rates are involved with credit card processing. Hand Key vs Swipe. Non-Qualified card vs Qualified Card. Per transaction. Per Item.

We just got our rates cut in half.

How bout you pros, what are your current rates and fees?

2. dubb

dubb LawnSite Member

i do all credit card processing through paypal. its a 2% fee to run the card

3. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

I cant remember exactly what ours is. We got it through Costco. The lease for the wireless machine is 19 or so a month, I think. Fees are around 1.6 percent, I think...
    not much help am I!

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Pnc bank stuck it so far up there i still cant walk

5. DVS Hardscaper

I got my low rate, thanks to PNC.

This past fall PNC quoted me a very very very low, fixed rate, didn't matter if it was a qualified card or a non-qualified card. One fixed rate.

Well, I got busy with focusing on sales and family life and kinda put the card processing off to the wayside. So I called PNC a few weeks ago and they jacked the rates up. No more fixed rate for both cards, they gave one rate for qualified, and another for non-qualified.

So I showed the current processor PNC's original quote, and they didnt match it, they didn't beat it, but they did come very very close to it. So I renewed with them.

Folks, the rates are negotiable. We do not pay any monthly service fees, either, whereas in the past we did.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Andrew I made an executive decision to not accept credit cards. I have lost zero sales because of this. But I don't blame you for taking credit cards. Considering most of your clients work for the federal goverment its pretty normal for them to buy stuff stuff on credit and run up debt.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

IT WAS all the extra fees that pissed me off
    glad it worked out for u

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

On my to do list for today. I use CC's for the lawn mowing, not construction. I need something stupid convenient to use, I don't have time to end 100 different numbers all the time. See what my bank (BBT) has to offer.

9. DVS Hardscaper

There is software that will store the numbers so you dont have to enter them. Also, you can process credit cards through QuickBooks, which you will not have to enter numbers each time.

10. DVS Hardscaper

MRUSK -

To whom are you speaking?

I scrolled through this topic and I don't see anything (user names or signatures) with "Andrew"?