1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What are you paying your employees?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DaveinSWFL, Feb 4, 2008.

1. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

Just curious what you are paying your employees? I pay $10 an hour. I have heard that most in my area are paying $8 to start. I also buy lunch. I am having a heck of a time finding good help. Are you folks having the same problem?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

my laborers make $17.50 an hour and foremen get $22.50 an hour
  3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Maintenance Team:

Labor: $10-12
    Driver: $12 + Time Bonuses

Install Teams:

Labor: $12-15 + Time Bonuses
    Formen: $15-17 + Time Bonuses and Layoff Pay
  4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Laborer $13
    Foreman $17
    Service tech $17.50 + truck + 1 weeks paid vaca
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

That seems about right. I have heard that most are paying about $8 to start also, I just cant pay that little, I dont see how anyone could survive on that. I will pay more once I find good people, and it is worth it, the guy working for me has been here for about 3-4years, and I can trust him to go out and work on his own. I also pay lunch and pay for his cell phone.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We only have part-time employees, summer help, etc. and we start them out at $10. They are usually college students that have flexible hours or are home for break, etc. However, if they prove themselves the first week we will immediately jump them up to 12 an hour. I'm absolutely amazed how many people have no clue how to start a line trimmer...seems they need to be shown 10 times before they realize there is a on/off switch. But hey, I'm a firm believer in "pay peanuts, get monkeys". So for what I'm paying I really shouldn't complain that much.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

If you don't mind me asking, how do you run your payroll...through an agency? bi-weekly? salary?

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I pay anywhere from $11-$15 to start depending how experienced they are and how much I can trust them. I do my own payroll and pay weekly.
  9. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

we only have part time help $8 to $10 and snow removel $12 wife does the pay role
  10. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

i got a question
    How would you pay kids doing Spring Aerating
    I usually drop the kid/kids in neighborhoods with an aerator, and give them 30 % of what they make. Im not sure if this
    is the best way to pay. but it does give them some insenstive to Knock on doors and not be afraid to upsell..
    What you think.. this is different than just cutting..
    would hourly be the answer?