What are YOU tipping, and who?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mtdman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

We all get tipped by our customers, but who do you tip as a business? I have two companies I tip. The first is my dealership. These guys are great and have kept me in business since I started, I buy all my stuff there, and they kick ass for me. Whether it's fixing something when I bring it in or getting me parts on warranty, they do a great job and I appreciate what they do.

The second is for the people who run my storage place where I store my stuff and have my 'shop'. They always go the extra yard as well and help me out, let me know about discounts, etc. Mostly, they leave me alone and make my life easier.

I sent both cards with pizza gift certs in them. $20 for the dealer/repair guys, $10 for the storage people. That's pretty much it.

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Always be nice to the bartender.:drinkup:

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I usually tip my barber

4. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Mailman $10
    Barber $12 haircut + $3 tip

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I would tip my mailman but my luck he'd be off that day and the relief guy would get it, lol!
    I tip my, ahem, girl that cuts my hair $2 each time. Actually I just got my hair cut the other day and the day after I thought I should have given her $20 for christmas...
    I don't forget to tip at resturants. The cuter, I mean better service, menas more tip. lol. (actually most chain places do tip sharing, so $20 tip for the hot waitress dosn't mean she gets it!)

That's a neat idea about tipping your dealer, especially the mechanic at the dealer. Most expect them to give you, the customer, the perks. I don't spend enough money to get any kind of special treatment anywhere...

I do receive "christmas money" from a number of my customers which is nice! I guess now I really need to send them "thank you" notes, don't I?

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

bartender, barber, a good wait staff, gave 1 of my customers $50.00 gift card to Dunkin Donuts (he and his wife landed me several nice paying jobs) my other customers got a $10.00 gift card to shaws

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

X-mas tip for Trash Man. This way when you set that big item out that borderlines weight restrictions they don't leave it sitting.

8. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Do you tip more heavily at restaurants during the holidays?

I do, I am very grateful for earning a nice living. So, I figure, what's the big deal in leaving a $5.00 tip on a $8.00 meal for three weeks a year.

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Barber and newspaper guy got a little extra. I always tip a delivery truck driver.

10. Spratz86

Spratz86 LawnSite Member

Barber? Not a chance. Same haircut, and I'm bald on top, so it takes them two minutes to cut my hair, even with scissors, still get charged $11.

Tip wait staff if the service is decent. Good service gets a better (above 15%) tip. If they're tip sharing, then they aren't getting rewarded for good service.

I appreciate the job the mailman and trashman are doing, but it's their job. Never believed I should tip for it. Never met them, either.

Maybe I'm cheap, but I always thought tips were for people that make below minimum wage. The mailman and the trashman make a good living. So does the barber, and they aren't doing anything over and above what they are paid to do.