what are you using for edger blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, Nov 4, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

i use the standard rectagle blade on my stick edger. i read a post that someone uses an 8 point blade. Just curious as to what blades everyone is using and how the wear is. i currently get about two weeks out of a stihl rectangle edger blade. It only cuts really well when the corners are square.

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use the same as you....getting a nice deep groove first and blowing out the spoil is the key. Then I can maintain the edge better on worn blades. Blades are cheep, don't bother me at all to pop on a new one if the edge is not right.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use the standard edger blade. I got them at lesco for about .83 cents a piece. I tried the star type blade and didn't like them as well.

4. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

o-so-n-so I'm not sure if i know what you mean by "cleaning out the spoil". Are you talking about cleaning the blade gaurd when it clogs? I don't have that problem with my husqvarna. A stihl stick edger I used clogged a lot, especially when the ground was wet.

Has anyone tried putting two blades on for a wider cut. I thought about trying this to help cut back edges that are along hills. Some hills just kinda shift over the edge within a week, cramping the look.

I thought that maybe a blade with more edges might wear longer and cut better. I'll have to try it someday.

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Try running two in + pattern (just like ya doubles)
    Works well for me and it will provide a wider cut as you said you need this.

Where I live we have an edger company called "Atom" and they make blades for there edgers with the + shape but not doubled up................Just one pice.

I have been meaning to go to the dealer and have a look if the Atom blade will go on my Shiny.

I think it would be good for you as I only run doubles on my edger for Bi-weekly acounts as they used grow over by the time I was back to cut again.

Also you might need a longer bolt and some washers to run two seperate blade in the + shape. (I did) not sure about your machine though.

6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Star or eight point blades that I've seen are built for w/b edgers and way to heavy to put on a stick edger.
    Like pinnacle said, you can double up just like mower blades. Train yourself, the cleaned out groove starts to get pretty wide looking.
    Check with your favorite equipment dealer for blade types that they handle. Don't go by price alone, thickness, width, and length are what you're buying. (carefull, I heard that)
    If you get a great price, but the blade is short, narrow, and thin, it's not going to last very long.
    Usually for not much more money you can get blades that are much heavier built and will last much longer.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Been using the star blades for several years. They last over 3 times as long and work better in my conditions.

8. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What type of edger do you use?

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Pinnacle have you ever seen the little wonder X-Tra edger it has a blade that looks like what your talking about but it's a sort of wb unit check out www.littlewonder.com and you'll see what i mean

And on a side note could you possibly use the double setup on a wb edger?

10. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I got tired of buying edger blades so we cut old mower blades to 8.75 inches in length with a chop saw and for $1.00 each a local machine shop drills the center whole to the 1" we need for our Red Max edgers. It wears better if you take the chop saw and cut slits in the blade (2) so it wears down evenly instead of rounding. They last forever. Fits inside shield, makes a nice wide cut.