What are your best equipment modifications big or small?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cbegap, Oct 21, 2008.

1. cbegap

cbegap LawnSite Member

I have done several minor changes that help a lot.

1. Removed the guard from weed eater (fairly standard). Removed the trigger safety.
    2. Drilled the holes through the line holder on my SRM 210 so I didn't have to cut the line in 2 pieces.
    3. On my Echo Harry home owner edger, I cut the back off the solid black plastic guard to make it look like the new metal Echo guards. This was by far the best thing I have done to make something that barely worked, start working like a completely different machine. It would clog all the time with wet dirt and grass. I would clean it out with a screw driver every 10 seconds. I have never had to clean it since the mod.
    4. Added an ezcute to the Ztr. I use it all the time.
    5. Cut the corners out of my Grass gobler's corner catches where you hook the back or the Leaf extension on because it would fill with grass and make it hard to put the back on.

I would love to hear some of the little things you guys do to make life easier!!

2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Disabled the safety switch on my Gravely for a start.......there is more though that I cant think of

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the worst modifaction you could make. I you dont like my post you better give me the fingure now becuase soon you wont have one.:laugh:

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is just on my Dixie...

1: Moved battery from over front axle to in front of right rear tire to improve weight balance.

2: Made a new floor pan that weighs half as much as the factory pan.

3: Did deck baffle mods as per the factory instructions.

4: Added the factory deck nose plate.

5: Install a air filter minder.

6: Installed a Big League Lawns lawn striper.

5. Australian Mower Man

Australian Mower Man LawnSite Member

Put an All seasons high lift and a Walker 7bu catcher on my Exmark Navigator, also changed the steering from Walker copy to swing away levers like most ztrs
    Much easier to steer and got about 1- 1.5 mph extra speed.

Changed my Honda 215/216 from swing back blades to a bar blade, I use a Grasshopper 61" blade. their lovley and last and last and last!

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I added a hook to my Standers so I can always have a handheld blower with me.... it saves a trip to the back yard to blower things off when I am finished with the lawn..

7. I had a WB with the square deck design. The left front corner was always getting caught on fence posts and stuff.
    I rounded off that corner. Welded & painted it. Looks stock.

I had a big Alamo ZTR. It cut 10' with 2 wing decks. 50 HP. It got old, the decks were shot. I took them off and mounted a 5' aerator. I turned the seat & steering sticks around so it goes the other direction.
    Now I have a zero turn aerator. It won't turn well with the tines down, but with the tines lifted I can spin it around and back it into the smallest places. I don't need a small aerator for the corners.

For my trailer I mounted lift springs for the tailgate. Except I mounted them underneath out of the way. They're coil springs from the front of a car. When the tailgate drops it compresses the spring which makes lifting the tailgate easy.

8. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

There are some good and interesting ideas in this thread!

Enclosed the OE split and pinned clutch rod on an edger by feeding it through a length of square steel tube stock. This limited the amount of flex and eventual separation of the two halves of the rod. It has not come apart or failed since.

Drilled a 3/8” hole through the side of the shroud covering the PTO JD 1050. Now instead of fumbling around in a hard to reach area with stubborn latch pins, I can turn the shaft manually until the pin lines up with the hole I made. From there, I can use a small punch or screwdriver to tap the locking pin where the PTO shaft connects to the tractor spline.

I am considering drilling a few more holes in the top of my Toro Z ‘s deck. Clippings disperse nicely when the factory holes are kept clear, which provides a good looking finish cut. Often when I am on the mower, I find myself wondering how this would work. The mower has 900-plus hours on it and I cannot think of a problem more airflow through the deck would cause. I need to just try it.

Fifteen years ago I put a 2” ball on a very old 14 HP small tractor. I can pull 5 yards of mulch or 2-2 ½ tons of infield dirt across grass without marking it up. It’s like having a huge wheelbarrow. Once loaded with my small front end loader, it is easy to stand on and shovel material off since I am standing above the target area. It works well for hauling things out too: material pulled out of planting beds, spoils from edging base paths and infields. No clutch, transmission, or brake problems so far, but I had nothing to lose with this tractor anyway.

Got tired of just throwing away ends of broken $95 sod-lifters. Several years ago I had one welded onto a steel pipe, had that filled and the other end welded shut. It’s about 36” long and weighs about 18-20 pounds. Now it is a fantastic tool for digging out sod and accumulated infield dirt along (under) base path and infield radius lips.

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Beefed up the control rods on my T-bars, so I have true reverse.

Made a chute block/mulch plate, that is hinged so it can just be swung into place, or swung open.

Removed spark arrestors from my handhelds.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Fixed the problem of the trailer gate falling or coming off the hinges.