What are your credentials?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncarepros2004, Apr 25, 2006.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

Got a referrel for a lawn maintenance account recently from another lco in town. When I called Ms Baker she was surprised to hear from me and thought it was strange I called and not vice versa. Well whatever, as the conversation on the phone proceeds she than asks me what my credentials are. Are you a master gardener? What will i get for my 35$? Can you say mow, edge, weedwhack, blow and go for $35. I knew i didn't want this pita but i was in the neighborhood so i swung by to take a look at her palace. Was she kidding about being a master gardener or what. The place was a joke and not up to our standards for a new client. Haven't called back to break the news to her that it looks like a $40 mow. She just moved up from Ca and expects the same job done by 3 guys every week for $15 probably.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

People are a riot...

After a while, you can almost tell the condition of their lawn over the phone.

I wish people would honestly ask important questions like that for the right reasons though.
    I would be loving life.

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I get a kick when I go out to do a estimate and the lawn hasn't been trimmed for years but the customer talks like they do it every week.

It also amazes me that customers let their lawns deteriorate over the years and expect us to make them look like a baseball field after the first cut:dizzy:

kc

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a business owner so I'm not here for a job interview.
    I'll tolerate a few questions, but don't qualify me because I run from those people.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

A customer that knows how to ask questions is not that bad, in fact I would do a face to face with her. Its the person that calls and say, Hi how much to cut my grass? You have know idea where they are, how much lawn who they are, etc etc. I'd rather have them ask my credentials than the how much question from the other kind of clown.

6. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

The only reason to ask those questions are maybe for a really big job. Customers..you can't live with them, but you can't live without them

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I just tell them I am a Knight of the Fresh-Cut Grass Blade :laugh:

But yes, at least you know price is not their determining factor if they ask you this.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, but when they ask you this over the phone....
    Well it's different.

My findings are that some people want to 'sound' good over the phone.
    You show up to find a weed pit they want cut every other week or so.
    No apps or improvements.
    Just some shrubs with years of overgrowth they want you to trim for next to nothing.

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Have mower, will travel.

10. Envy Lawn Service

I'm sure I'll see that on a homemaid trailer sign before the end of the season.