What Are Your Downfalls?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team-Green L&L, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Although we'd all like to say so...we are not perfect. This is a thread to help us remember our downfalls and improve on them. I'll start:

We took on too many new accounts this season and have had trouble organizing them while my partner is working a full-time (factory) job. Hence, quality slipped a half a notch and dependability slipped a whole notch. Thankfully, we have picked up the pace in the last 2 months and are running smoother now.

Anyone else have the guts to tell on themselves?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

AR's...I let them get too old before payment.

3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I am a bit slow on the book keeping side of things and need to lift my game in that area.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to second that. Since I have nothing to do with maintenance anymore, I see the bills getting bigger and bigger before they get sent out. Something I have to keep ontop of more, and cut off people before their bill gets too old. :)

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is too old? Not on mowing, but on $2-4K landscape installs. We're a little generous on waiting also.

6. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

Pretty much anything having to do with the business side is my downfall. And not finding any personal time. I think that's a huge downfall.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Now this is an interesting thread! Where to begin?
    1. Not charging for everything I should.
    2. Letting my personal feelings/discomfort with money bleed over into the company. Example: Trying to save a sickly plant to save a buck for the client instead of yanking it at the first sign of distress planting a Monrovia beauty and charging a good price for it..
    3. Not following systems that I have already developed.
    4. Neglecting the strategic work of the company for more entertaining pursuits like Lawn site.
    5. Not pushing because things are comfortable.

Thank you, this is a good wake up/ reminder. I hope we can all be proactive and begin to address some of our shortcomings.

As a matter of fact I challenge everyone that wants to participate to reply in one week what steps they have taken to begin to correct their particular shortcoming and share it with the rest of us. I think we can all learn from each other and I know if someone is checking up on me I am likely to actually finish the task.

Any takers?

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

My biggest downfall this year has been not returning ppls. phone calls. This year when I got calls that I wasn't interested in I just hit the delete button. And I only return current customers phones calls when it is important.

quality also slipped a bit this year, due to me being burned out, and not having the right ppl in place for the first half of the season. I have a plan for next year, so that things will be smoother and more enjoyable.

9. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, My book keeping, paper work and billing could be better.
    Other than that, quality, production and income is up:dizzy:...its scary how fast we are growing.
    James

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

AR would be my downfall as well, currently sitting @ $8.5K down about $3k from friday when I recieved payment from a major slow-poke.