What Are Your Goals?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWnENFORCER, Apr 8, 2002.

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

Just wanted to see what type of goals, if any, you all had for your buisness. I am curious to see how different or alike the full timers goals are to the part timers.

I do this part time and plan to have a large well established company for when I retire as a law enforcement officer.

I am not trying to start a debate about being ft or pt, just want to see what your company forsees in days, weeks, months or years ahead!

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

After a tough year in 2001, the name of the game for me in 2002 is efficiency. I dropped 15 of my complaining/slow paying/distant clients and have picked up 7 new clients for this season, all within my new, more localized area. It really is like a weight off my chest to not have to deal with the complainers and chronically late payers.

I also will be running with 2 less employees than last year. My best 4 employees came back and we're off to a good start. Over 85 clean-ups completed as of today. As I said in previous posts, I bought a 16' enclosed trailer and I packed it with everthing we could need-tools, oil, spare parts, irrigation parts, etc. No more forgotten tools or wasted trips back to the yard. I can also take care of little requests that clients have immediately, and don't have to make a second trip back because I didn't have the right tool.

Finally, I raised the prices of about 10 clients that weren't up to par. Rather than trying to gain more accounts, I plan on trying to sell as many add-on services as possible to established clients. These people know me and trust me and it usually is a pretty easy sell.

That's basically it for this year. I've more or less decided that I don't want to be the largest contractor on LI. I'm going to keep it small and manageable and as profitable as I possibly can. Sorry for the long post.....Mike

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Eliminate the need for a push mower. I have 10 accts out of 60 that require me to pull out my 21inch mower. Will have to wait for the homeowners of these accts to either die or move since they are good as gold and don't have the heart to drop them.

4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a senior in high school and I am also going to college part time. I'm running my grounds management business too part time while I also lifegaurd.

My goal is to make as much as I can this year so I can save as much as I can and have a sizeable amount of $$ as a cusion for when I get out of school (I leave for Purdue University in the fall full time to study Landscape Horticuture and Design and I am in Alpha Gamma Rho an ag. fraternity) I can start SGK down in the south.

My long term goal is to control a large majority of.... well why would I tell my future competition what I'm gonna do?:D
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You, sir, are a perfect example of what success is all about. The fact that you are holding high school AND getting some college at the same time is commendable in itself, however, you combine that with your strong goals, and your firm planning of what you want to do, and you have something that sounds as if it has come to you as an epiphany. Good luck with it. Your actions are certainly admirable. I only wish that I would have had the drive, decisiveness, and determination that you have when I was your age.
  6. wilawns

wilawns LawnSite Member

hey summit i to am going to purdue in the fall wondering if you live at home if not what are you going to do after aug. 19th (the day school starts) i know up here for me in wisconsin im forced to keep things small this year and are giving my lawn accounts to a friend while im at school
  7. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Wow goals, so many to pick from so few you would acutally like to read, first i would like to make a profit, i have had so many expenses the last few years it has been hard to make any money over them. I would like to maitain all of my clients without losses and or deliquent payments. In 2 years buy a ZTR if needed, most of my accountants are sololy for 21-36", though i have 48"s. Have fun working and enjoy being outside for the summer, what could be better, i am also in college, GO BUFFS, CU boulder , and begining to start the 2002 season, this is a big challange being in adifferent state but it is coming along, but my biggest goal is complete client satisfaction, easy and hard in some respects!
    AK Lawn
  8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I plan to win the lottery someday... ;)

Barring that, I need to add 20-25 new customers before the end of the year so that the wife and I can make more than we spend (and cover expenses). I've achieved my goal over the last year and a half of raising my rates to satisfactory levels (covering expenses + desired profit) so that when my schedule is full (3 1/2 days per week) we can make it. Meeting that goal has put me in the enviable position of having very little work to do most weeks (okay ... doh!) but we're slowly turning that around.

Once I fill a full week (4 1/2 to 5 day) of work again, I'll hire part-time help with the idea of training the right person to become a crew leader as we continue to expand. In time, I want to run a maintenance crew and have 2-5 additional crews working my area under my company banner. I would like to stay in the field as much as possible because I love it out there. If I have to, however, I'll retire to the comfy office chair and run the business from behind a desk, while putting on about 30 extra pounds.

Most importantly, I plan to get to wherever I'm going and be completely unsatisfied. I hate perfection and want to make it better.

And I never want to forget who's important to me and that life is meant to be enjoyed...
  9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I go to Hobart High School full time (a mile from my house)
    I go to Purdue University Calumet partime
    Early Aug. I move into my fraternity house on campus at Purdue University (the big one)
    I have a crew to take over for me and I only live like an hour and ten minutes away so it's all good (hopefully)
  10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

1. Finish highschool, make a 32 on my ACT and get a full ride to Texas A&M.
    2. Keep small, concentrate on learning. Put money back so I can have a head start after college.
    3. Get a degree in Turfgrass and Arboriculture.
    4. Become a successful business man!