What are your plans for expanding in 2010???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.TX, Nov 30, 2009.

1. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I am looking for input on expanding for this next spring. I normally don't advertise at all in the winter but I think I am going to start sending a guy out a few days every week until spring to pass out fliers. I am wanting to pick up 100 plus accounts for next spring. Do you guys think it is a waste of time to start advertising this soon and what are yall doing to get ready for next year????

2. santafe

santafe LawnSite Member

Do you find that fliers are the best advertising for the money? or are you just giving your guys a job? I have been thinking about fliers because the paper just doesn't seem to do much good.

3. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

Pick up 100+ new accounts...with fliers?? Share your secret if you figure it out. Leaf cleanups are good money and often lead to mowing accounts.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I think starting the advertising now is a good idea, but you have to do the same areas multiple times to get decent results. The more people see your name, the more apt they are to think of you when they need landscape or lawn work done. 100 might be pushing it but you will definitely get some more work. I am planning on doing 10k doorhangers a month year round next year because I do tree work and want to stay busy.

As far as expanding goes. This year I only had a 2 man crew working 4-5 days a week, but the way things are shaping up, I should have a 4 man crew working 60 hours a week next year. I am not buying any more major equipment, probably just some saws and handhelds. My mowers should be fine...

Good look with your expansion and keep us updated on how it works for you. I know we start doorhangers in January and I am not looking for much of a response then, but I'm hoping that my march and april when people start thinking about mulching and landscaping they will think of us because they see out doorhanger each month.

5. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Well I have had good luck in the past with fliers in spring. I havent ever picked up 100 at once but I have picked up in the 30s with a few thousand ... I figure if I just need to put out several times the amount to get close to what im looking for.

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to mail out 10k postcards starting in Feb. Mabey two runs per area. I have tried the doorhangers and it just didnt work for me. I never had a good return. I may not have a good return on postcards either but it sure will get people aware of my business name.

7. I am hoping to triple my business next year, this year I had 2 lawns, next year I hope to have 6 lawns.

8. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Flyers work great here. They work even better if you make an effort to personally speak with each householder. I plan to spend some time this winter designing a very fancy flyer, I'm going to hire my wife's friend who is a very good artist to help. My flyers have been kind of generic in the past, but they've still worked. I don't think any lawn companies around here really use flyers and that's why I've gotten so much work. I hope to get 10-15 more customers next year which would put me at 45-50 which would be enough for me to quit my part time job. The last three years I've gone from 7 customers to 25 last year, to 37 this year. I'm hopeful. Good luck to all of you. Knock on doors, it works.

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

If door hangers didn't work then post cards probably won't. The reason I say this is because when most people get a advertisement in their mail they just skim over it and throw it away, but with a door hanger they are forced to take it off their door so they have to at least look at it. Thats just my philosophy. Also door hangers are WAY cheaper.

10. ADVANCEDOHIO

ADVANCEDOHIO LawnSite Member

You might want to be in the homeowners forum.:laugh: